Trailer Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewayne Davis

Reaction score
I have a Tracker Trailstar trailer that has a braking system that engages when the trailer shifts forward. Unfortuntely the braking system doesn't work. Is there a way to lock the trailer so that it doesn't shift back and forth everytime you start and stop?

If the tounge of the trailer is installed with bolts - remove it and replace it with a non-braking tounge (easy fix). Plug the line coming out the back of it with the appropriate cap fitting (hardware store or automotive store probably have what you need, and it's cheap).

If it's not attached with bolts - you will have to get someone to cut it off with a torch and weld a new one on for you.

You can also drill a hole on both sides of the hydraulic braking coupler and insert 1/4"-20 bolts through the pieces that slide. I recommend using 4 bolts (two on each side) if you do that, so that there is enough strength holding it in place. And even then, I'd check it constantly. This is NOT my recommended way of taking care of it though - it's only a cheap suggestion, but not one that I would personally do, as I don't think it's the "right" way of fixing it.

Or... you can figure out why the braking system isn't working, and fix it properly. THAT is my true recommendation. If you need help troubleshooting... let me know.

All the best,

Glenn

Even when I had my 17 foot Nitro I'd wished many times I had trailer brakes. I'd get them fixed.

fatrap

No - There is a reverse solenoid mounted in-line that keeps them from locking when you back up. If yours doesn't have one, then they would engage unless you manually blocked the actuator from compressing. It normally mounts directly behind the actuator, right before the brake line attachment. There is a wire that connects to your back-up lights. When you put your truck in reverse (and your back-up lights light up), the solenoid valve closes and does not allow fluid to travel to the calipers. This keeps the brakes from locking when you back up.

All the best,

Glenn

You should have both halves of a 5-way connector plug for your trailer. That fifth, blue lead is your reverse solenoid. When powered it should free the tounge and brakes for backing. You can manually override the fifth lead with the master cylinder cap on the tounge. Look closely and you'll see directions to turn it to free up the brakes. Most important thing I'd like to echo is getting the brake system fixed and aquainting yourself with its operation. You will never regret the brakes operating correctly in any given instance or panic stop. Good luck! ;)

My old Nitro had a "switch" for lack of a better term right behind the tougue. I would turn it to turn off the brakes so that I could back up hills etc so that the brakes wouldn't stop me. My buddies 929 has a pin that he pushes in for the same reason. Stops the solenpid from pushing back and stopping the hydraulic brakes from working. if this is not set right or stuck it would stop the brakes from working. Randy

I had mine changed to elec. last year. The cost was about $640. Dollar for dollar it was about the same.

Any idea where to get a replacement 'manual switch'? mine was never very tight and I had it tie-strapped on, but the strap broke last fall on the last trip out and I can't seem to find one anywhere. My electronic override works fine, but I'm wanting to get the manual override fixed in case I need it sometime.

Thanks.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back