trailer bunks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gregan

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced their trailer bunks with ones bought from online store, Cabelas, Overtons, etc. If so, how good are they? Seems that black carpet is basically the only color choice.

If you are somewhat handy, you could make your own and save on shipping boards with outdoor carpet on them.

Larry, do a search on this board and you will find some other info on this topic including step by step instructions and tips. Last year about this time as I recall....

Pressure treated 2x4 from any hardware store topped with urethane bunk sliders, I swear by them, I'll ever go back to the carpeted bunks. A little nudge up at the bow and the boat just slides into the water. No more driving the boat up the bunks just pull the bow up close enough with long deck lines and winch her in. Best thing ever.

The hull is glass so I'm guessing pressure treated should be ok...thanks to everyone for the input. The only problem with me doing the project by myself is that I don't have anywhere convenient to put the boat in the water to replace the bunks. I'll figure something out thanks again....just out of curiosity what does pressure treated lumber do to an aluminum hull?????

Kam...what are these bunk sliders you mentioned. Never heard of them. Where did u get them?

If you put in at steep ramps...forget about the sliders unless you want your boat on the ramp:unsure:

You don't need to float your boat to replace them, just jack up the hull at the transom enough to remove the bunk 1 at a time, they are bolted on from underneath. I replaced mine with 6 x 2 for extra support and it holds the boat way better as well.

And why not (again, because it's been a long time) pressure treated on tin boats?

You can find them on eBay. Search bunk glides. I swear you will never go back to carpet. Or you can always invest in rollers.

Thanks, Tox! Makes me feel better that I spent money on cedar boards.

Would anyone seal the wood before putting carpet on them? I'm thinking of using something like roll-on bed liner. Or is it better just to put the carpet on and fugghettaboutit?

I would give it a light coat of spray on sealer and carpet but, don't carpet the bottom...that is usually what holds water and rots the boards.

I measured all my boards and built them ahead of time. When I went fishing I changed them out before reloading and heading home. Only took about 30 min.

Latest posts

Back