Trailer Bunks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Are trailer bunks suppose to be tight to wear they don't move or lose to allow them to move any way they want?

I noticed the last couple of times I put my boat on, it wasn't sitting exactly right now the bunks. When the boat was off, I checked the bunks to see how lose they were. I could move them up and down at will. Is this correct or should I tighten them up?

Hi Teri,

The bunks on my Nitro 901 are tight. I have already replaced them once because the carpet had worn off.

RoyC

Don't think that they are supposed to be 'loose' at all. Suspect that if they are loose, the holes are 'wallowing out' and sooner or later you will have a problem. Sounds like they need to be attended to.

Tex

My Ranger was tight. I would call a dealer..I have never heard of wooden ones being loose..You need to check for dry rot while you have the boat off..JR

They should be tight. Time to replace if needed. Replaced mine last year. You can get underneath the boat while its on the trailer and tighten the bolts but I am guessing (As Transplant stated) the holes are prob wallowed/bored out. If you decide to replace the bunks make sure you dont use the same bolts. Replace everything.

Max

Thru my experiences I have found that most bunks are held to the trailer with lag screws. Over time they will rust and rot away. They are not galvanized or stainless to prevent rusting. So does the wood where the lag screw was. I have even lost side guide bunks due to the same problem.

When I replace bunks or reset good used bunks or bunk guides to the trailer, I counter sink the hole on the top of the bunk about 1/2" deep by 3/4" to 7/8" diameter and use 5/16" galvanized carriage bolts with a fender washer, washer, lock washer and nut on the underside of the bunk trailer bracket. All the hardware is galvanized, except for the fender washers. Sometimes it's difficult to find galvanized ones.

I have yet to have them rust, rot or come loose. I do check the nuts to make sure there tight at least once a yr. It has been 7yrs. since I last replaced the bunks on my trailer and all is well. Also, I have always removed the carpet prior to counter countersinking. I also leave the bottom of the bunks free from carpet so they dry out better.

I think they are supposed to have some movement; why else would the mount have a moveable "hinge?"

Like your idea Carl. I thought of doing the same. When I change mine, I will counter sink em. I think bunks should be tight...IMO

Marty,

Not all trailers have movable bunks. My Z7 trailer for instance the mounts for all 6 bunks are welded to the frame and the bunks are screwed to them tight.

I did the same thing Carl did when i redid the bunks on my 882. Worked great.

Define tight?

if you mean the ability to move along the length of the bunk....sea saw style hinging on the mounting bolt....then you are ok.

If you mean up and down from the trailer, you have problems.

Ranger Trail trailer?

nitro trailers are differnt than ranger trail wich mount the bunks on aDJUSTABLE HARWARE.

but if they are flop[ing all over the place you need to snug them up buy tightning a nut or bolt on the adjustment.

Yes Mini, Ranger Trail trailer.

If you are standing at the back of the trailer. You can move a bunk from the left to the right with ease.

I tightened them yesterday. No issues tightening the bolt/nut. After I did it I thought I really didnt know if I was suppose to.

Teri on my Nitro they are not made to move. I think the swivel function allows you to load the boat, get the bunk at the exact angle of the hull and then tighten it up....at least that is how my last boat's bunks worked.

Yes definately (if you are going to) tighten them, do it with boat ON the trailer.

Mine flop, lots do.

Had to show a guy at the ramp on Sunday that one of his boards when he unloaded his boat was on the trailer frame.....not good. He didn't seem too concerend until I told him of the trouble he'll have trying to load his boat and the bunk floating away:wacko:

Back