Tracker vs Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Fischer

Reaction score
A question for Nitro and Tracker owners.

I am in the market for a smaller boat (Garage size constraints) and I have always looked at the Pro Team 175 from Tracker. It is about the right length, and everything was looking like I would be getting one, but I recently looked at the Nitro X5. It looks like for just a small amount more, (When the Tracker is maxed out at its 75HP Motor) I could have a Fiberglass boat w/ a 115HP that looks to have a lot more options/features.

Does anybody have any thoughts? Thanks!

I've owned both, aluminum and fiberglass, though the aluminum was not a V hull but was a 16'7" boat with a 90hp motor, currently Nitro Z6. The Nitro is heavier, more stable on the water, moving or at rest, and much more quiet. I am sure there are arguments for both as to what you are going to use it for and where. For me, fiberglass suits me best.

I think it kind of depends on your fishing. I have a 2005 PT 175 and love it. I went aluminum because I pull mine up on shore alot, so I don't want to worry about cracking my boat hitting a rock on shore. It does great on hitting the waves "revolutionary hull" whatever that means, LOL(for an aluminum boat not bad).

I fish narrow windy strip mines so it is easy to end up on shore when fighting a fish or tying a lure on. Also a lot of lakes around me have 25 HP limits so I went with a 25 HP 4 Stroke. If I lived near big lakes without a HP limit, I would probably change to a Nitro as I hear they have a better ride on windy choppy days, also if you water skied I would think the Nitro would be better. That's my 2 cents worth.

The X5 is the nicest small water boat I have ever seen. Personally if the water I fished was smaller I would own that boat. It is n-i-c-e, a mini tournament rig. Upgrade the TM and get the max hp and it is a fine boat.

TOXIC

Hopefully you have looked and already know, one the the HUGE measurment differences is that the package width is 8 feet and the standard/most single garage doors are 8 foot wide, I know that the X5 has a package width of 8 foot while the PT 175 is 7 foot 9 inches. I know not much but having those extra 3 inches of play can make all the difference and save a big PITA. Hopefully all you are concerned with is length issues.

CHRIS CAS

Yep, it is the length that I am concerned with. We have a 2 car garage, and my second vehicle should fit fine. It is the length that is the pain, 19' Garage and a 18'11" "package length", so it would almost need a garage modification to make sure it fits. Fun stuff!

Not sure about the Nitro but my trailer that came with my tracker has a break away front that makes it easier to fit in the garage, saves 2-3 feet by taking the pin out and folding the arm sideways.

That package length is with the swing-away tongue, good thought though. One thing I would be concerned about would be is what motor was on the rig when that measurement was taken. That would be one of the first questions to ask as that number can surly change if you go from a 50 to a 125 thats for sure.

CHRIS CAS

Chris - might want to also check whether package length is measured with the motor tilted up like on a transom saver, or all the way down. I got my 2002 PT175 in my garage by tilting the motor (40hp) all the way down and turning it to the side. I barely fit even with the swing away tongue. My garage sounds like yours with the double garage door. The floor plan for the garage listed it as just under 20' in length. The other option is to angle the boat in - might be worth a few inches.

Hi Chris,

I have owned both aluminum and Glass. The Glass is better for stability. The Tin is easier to get on and off the trailer (when you cant motor up), dont have to worry about scratching the hull, launch in skinnier water. Ill be honest, I own a 2008 TR186 with a 150 Opti. Its a great boat, however I miss my Tin Rig. If you are not going to be heading out to big water my choice would be Tin. I wish I could get out on my boat more often. If I had Tin I could fish locally more. There are a number of TM only lakes that I just cant launch my boat in due to low water in the summer. I guess it all depends on where your fishing and how often you go. The X5 looks like a good option, but the Tin would be just as good and no worries about scratchin your baby.

Then again, I have not researched the X5, is it all Glass including the deck?

Hope it helps,

Mark

Thanks for all of the info guys, I appreciate it. I actually measured the X5 at Bass Pro today, and with the motor trimmed a little bit, it was actually 19'7", this is with a 115 Optimax. I think it might be too tight, but we'll have to see I guess! Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back