Tracker Salt Water corrsion

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Bland

Reaction score
Well, I'm back again with bad results. Tracker's corporate heads have refused to consider my request for them to repair the salt-water corrosion attacking the transom of my Tournament V-18. Below is a letter that is in circulation informing the boating public as to Tracker Marine's policy on responding to manufacturing defects of their products. Tracker, I think will be surprised with the consumers ability to use the internet as a communication tool to inform the public of their refusal to back their products. I believe the below letter will be evidence enough to prove my accusations. Keep the below letter in mind as you will more than likely come across it again one way or another. Oh, I forgot to mention. I'm no longer interested in Tracker repairing the corrosion. I have done that myself with time, money and effort. Thanks again to the efforts of the people on this web site who tried to help me with this problem.

Bob Bland

Hull ID # BUJ20970B999

1999 Tournament V-18

Crescent City, Florida

I hope you will take a minute out of your busy day to read and digest the following account of how your corporate leaders are treating the people who spend their hard earned money on Tracker Marine products. This email is the outcome of countless discussions starting with my local dealer then working my way up to your corporate leaders. {Justin Maples}

My complaint was that salt-water corrosion was attacking the painted transom only where holes were drilled through the transom at the factory and the top edge of the transom just under the transom cap. These areas have edges of bare metal due to production design. Everybody's first thought was that it was caused stray current corrosion {electrolysis}. But since the zinc tabs on the motor show little, if any sign of being attacked by current and there is no sign whatsoever of electrolysis on the lower unit of the engine, this thought was proven to be incorrect. Next, they thought it could be caused by galvanic corrosion. But since transom drain holes that have a plastic fitting are corroding, the unlike metals theory can be ruled out.

So, from the explanation above, do we have a manufacture defect or do we have a case where the owner has caused the problem. I think I have a boat that is failing due to poor design or poor workmanship related to the painted hull. The sad part is that your corporate leaders won't admit to it in my case.

The above corrosion took place within the first year of owning my 1999 Tournament V-18. I should mention that the boat sat on the dealers lot for a year so it's actually not as old as the year indicates. The one important thing to keep in mind as you digest this account is that the boat was bought in the state of Florida, which is boarded by two bodies of saltwater. Keeping this in mind, why would Tracker Marine Customer Service send me an e-mail stating in all capital letters that since I used my boat in saltwater the repair would not be covered under warranty? This statement is even stranger since my local dealer tested my boat in saltwater during a warranty repair. I'm sure any potential tracker boat buyer will be interested in this saltwater policy. I take extreme pride in maintaining my boat and follow the Tracker Owner's "manual maintenance and care section" procedures to the tee. Example: washing down the boat thoroughly with soapy water after use in saltwater. This fact was shown to my local dealer as proof of my maintenance efforts that has resulted in a show room shape boat. On top of that, I live on a fresh water lake where the boat is used 99% of the time.

Well, thanks for your time. The above educational process is just the tip of the ice burg concerning my plans to make the boating public aware of Tracker Marine's saltwater warranty policies on their painted boats.

Bob,

Could you please post copies of Tracker's e-mail response(s) to you. I think I and others are curious.

Gentlemen -

How, where and under what conditions we use our boats is up to us as owners. If we run them in nothing but the cleanest of deep, fresh water lakes; that is our choice. If we run them in stump infested, shallow waters; that is our choice. If we run them up shallow, rocky creeks; that is our choice.

We must be prepared to accept the consequences of our choices. Be the consequences a boat that stays fresh and new looking for years, suffers gouges from the stumps or has rivets torn out by the rocks.....

We all know that salt water is highly corrosive. If we make the choice to operate a metal hulled boat in this type of environment; we must be prepared to accept the inevitable consequences.

I see the corrosion that developed on Bob's boat as "normal wear and tear" considering the usage.

I'm sorry that Tracker wasn't a bit more diplomatic in their response; but I must agree with and support their position.

me

It sounds like Bob has taken all of the precautions after using the boat in salt water. Does Tracker Marine have a written warranty that states "DO NOT USE IN SALT WATER"?

Bob G.

Scott-He lives in Florida. There is a whole lot of salt water around here. You don't even have to go in the ocean or bay to get in it. I live in a coastal area and fish in fresh water rivers. However I often catch saltwater species in these pristine waters because saltwater is intrusive to any waterway that empties in the ocean. Whether by tides, winds or storms saltwater will often enter waterways several miles from the coast. I don't think operating your boat in a type of water is comparable to operating in stump or rock filled water. If someone rips a hole in their boat on a rock or stump I don't think they would expect Tracker to be liable. When I bought my Tracker I specifically asked about salt water operation and the dealer said only the painted trailer would be in danger of warranty problems. He referred to the manual as cited above. Aluminum boats by Dura-Craft and G-3 are very popular in these parts. Several flats guides rely on aluminum boats and several make entire lines targeting this market. This may not be an issue in Missouri, but it is a LARGE issue in Florida, Louisianna, Texas and any other coastal state. If Tracker is going to sell aluminum boats in these areas, and they sell a heck of a lot, they need to change the way they do business. Not trashing Tracker 'cause as of yet I don't have a dog in this fight, but this really bothers me.

Bob-Good luck in this ordeal and keep us posted. Some of us are very concerned. If the cause is ever determined please post it.

Gene

Gene -

My father lives in Naples, Florida. I have been there many times. I often took my Nitro 170 and used it in the Gulf and backwaters; the picture below was taken near Ft. Myers in a backwater area. I am well familiar with the waters, the conditions and the results.

me
dasboat.jpg

Bob - Is that a picure of you and the TV-18 on www.boattraderonline.com - http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/0/29476180.htm

If it is, and I assume it is, are you really trying to sell the boat or just generate publicity for your problem?

Just wondering since in your ad you say "1999 TRACKER Tournament V-18,1999 Tracker Tournament V-18. Selling boat because Tracker Marine will not warranty major salt water corrosion that appeared on transom within first year. Boat has been used in salt water only 5 times. Extreme maintenance measures were taken by owner to prevent corrosion of this type. Rest of boat is in excellent condition."

Not going to get a lot of bites telling folks the manufacturer won't warranty the boat the current problems. Would keep me for buying it.

Bob - The picture I meant was the one in Boattraderonline, and you confirmed you posted it there, so that is you and your boat.

With out getting a long discussion started, help me (though I can do NOTHING about your problems) understand this question:

- What exactly do you want/need/expect Tracker to do now?

Publicity is only good if the true nature of the expected results is clear to the viewer? So - do you want Tracker to Pay your for your time/parts to repair the boat? Do you want then to change their warranty policy? Send you a new boat? Appologize?

When i've had a problem with a vendor/manufacture i've found it very benefical to clearly state what your desired outcome is not just what the problem is.

Michael, you are being VERY diplomatic about all this..... I won't be.....

Bob, you are obviously an intelligent individual. You should realize that actions such as you have taken make a mockery only of yourself.

me

Scott - Me, Diplomatic, Darn that must be why they put me in MANAGEMENT LOL

Bob - Hey i'd love to be a YOUNG RETIRED guy too, and I LOVE that boat you have. Just help us here understand your end game.

And, Bob, when I see statements you have made like:

"When you consider my background in owning and personally maintaining aluminum boats for 30 plus years"

And then I see a picture of someone who is obviously in their 30's.....

I wonder how many other liberties you have taken with the truth.

me

Bob,

I asked you a couple of days ago to e-mail me and I was going to try and put you in contact with the right people, but you never did....like my grandma always said...God helps those who help themselves.

I'm kind of interested now in hearing your response to Trep's questions above...

You know, Ken, there are some people who get their kicks out of stirring up the s..... uh..... "salt water".

Bob -

In that case, I would like to apologize for my comment about liberties with the truth.

me

Bob -

I came back on-line, after some careful thought since my last post, to approach everything from an entirely different angle........

Bob, you obviously have had a great deal of enjoyment from our sport over the past 30+ years..... You've obviously learned a great deal..... I, for one, would very much like to have you be around to share the benefits of those experiences with others. Along the way, I would hope that you would also reap benefits from our experiences.....

In your member profile, you state that you joined this board because you wewre unable to obtain satisfaction from Tracker's Customer Service Department; it is as legitimate a reason as any other to join. A number of our members have come here for similar reasons. However, once the gripes have been aired and followed to a reasonable conclusion, the spirit of comaradarie experienced here soon takes hold.

I'm sorry about your experience. Please believe me that I am. Over the past 2 1/2 years, I have often taken a very different approach to Tracker than I have in your case......

Right or wrong, they have made a decision.

And you have taken care of the problem on your own.

Please allow me to invite you to join us in a very positive spirit! I and we would enjoy having you!

me!

scott,unfortunately you are right.tracker does make some stupid decisions,and stick by them even if there right or wrong,which i think is a bad decision all around.fixing it yourself is sometimes the best decision all around.i fought with them for a while,and finally decided it is like beating a dead horse.they made the problem,but do i want them to fix it?maybe make it worse?nope!

is the product flawed?does it leak?it is cosmetic.look at a few of the fld freightliners,look at the cab extenders around the bolts.a lot of them around the stainless bolts holding them on are coroded,paint flaking off them,and such.this vehicle costs upwards to $100,000,and they have a 1 yr finish warranty.

best thing to do is to take it to a auto body shop,let them fix it,spot paint it and be done with it.

Bob - don't have time today to read all the posts/responses, but first let me say don't wait till this is cleared up to become a part of this community and "be able to swap fish stories [lies] and be informative in not such a radical way." We only learn from others if they share with us.

My comments about the "for sale" ad were and are just wondering what you are expecting to gain, not that gaining anything in return for your problems is a bad thing! It's just (and if I missed it in other posts, please let me know)I don't understand what your goal in informing the public is? Having been in customer service in the IT industry in the past, my first question to a un-happy customer is "forget how we got her, you have a problem - what can I do to solve it and move us forward positively"

Help us understand what you want to accomplish, and you may be surprized at the folks who can/will help you.

the one way to get rid of the coorosion is a good sanding around the affected part,then a good coat of primer/sealer for aluminum,then good coat of paint on top of it.once we do that we havent had any problems on the fld's after that.

i repainted my boat this past spring,and sealed it then painted it with centauri enamel with hardner in it.it looks great so far.th origional paint on the boats in my opinion isnt the best.it looks like they use a primer called tuf coat on it,then paint over it.if the aluminum isnt sanded good for the paint to get a bite on it,or dirty(corosion) it will either peel or corode under the paint.ive seen that happen before.the fl's did it.so did some of the other ones we work on.

the way i look at warranty work is they want to get it done as quick as possible,since they get a flat rate to fix it,so shortcuts are taken,trust me i know.they do it quick where as if you do it yourself you WILL take your time to do it right so it will never come back again.

Latest posts

Back