"This old house" update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Since a few have asked, I figured I would update anyone interested on the latest events of the Chateau de LaMoy.

We have most of the new windows in, which has made a HUGE difference on isulating heat and sound. Just need a crew of 4 to do the den bay window. It must weigh 500 lbs!

Have managed to use spray foam insulation in just about every crack, hole, and crevice I have been able to uncover.

Electric is coming along nicely, Buzz has me ready for a new range. We also got a nice new foryer light in and my garage/carrige house light up, and new front porch chandelier. Still need to get my driveway lights working.

Got a beautiful new front door in.

Painted and reroofed front porch.

Have painted most of the exterior window sills. Need a taller ladder to get upper floors.

Downstairs bathroom is nearly complete and looking nice if I do say so myself.

Plumbing and boiler are all up to snuff except for upstairs bathroom.

NOW for what needs to get done! (Just gonna start at one end of the house and go to the other as I remember the projects!)

Garage

Roof still leaks a little, needs to turned into 3 season screened in porch with it's own roof in spring. Will solve the leaks and give us a way to enjoy the view of the river without getting eaten alive by skeeters!

Outer wall and stairs of garage need replacing and gutters installed to stop run off washaway of foundation.

Garage overhead doors need to be replaced (hopefully this winter)

Back door needs replacing and whole garage to be better insulated.

Door from garage to main house needs to be fixed (new hingers, door seals, handle/latch, and overall insulation, OR to be totally replaced. Last major draft in that end.

Chimney caps need to be installed.

Masonry repaired around the bricks all over.

Eves and soffet replaced and gutters installed on main house.

Kitchen concrete porch needs to be redone/converted into pressure treated deck.

Kitchen needs to be completely refurbed (usable as is, but needs to be redone)

Wood burning insert inistalled in living room fireplace.

Living room carpet removed and hardwood floor restored to match other rooms.

Storm door installed for front door.

Upstairs bathroom completely refurbed and plumbing repaired.

Spiral staircase banister needs to be firmed up. NO idea how to do that.

Door knobs throughout the house need replacing.

Insulate attic and replace knob and tube wiring.

Replace door in apt going over garage to eventual 3 season porch.

LOTS of landscaping....LOTS.

Fix sidewalks and brick steps on front porch.

Install drop ceiling in laundry room and kids closets where plaster is shot.

So that's about what I can remember right now.

Anyone want to volunteer?????

LOL

I've thought about that. LOL Actually, I'm doing most of the work myself and saving a ton of money. This house is worth it. When I'm done....in say oh, 20 or 30 years, it will be a great spot to have another rally! LOL

When you get done in 20 to 30 years it will be time to start over, or the list will be a revolving list that will never end. My house is only 7 years old and there is always something that needs to be done. Thats the price a man pays to be king of his castle. LOL

Gene

Gene

""OH"" the joys of owning your own home. Did you say your not fishing next year?

Rob,

I have to admit it. Your list is longer then I was expecting. Looks like you ahve a few seasons of fun and that you ahev already broke it down into inside and outside fixes. Looks like you may get a good start on the inside stuff now.

It is too bad I live so far away. I am not overly smart, but I can lift heavy things and I am pretty good at doing what I am told to do. If I am ever int eh area, he me a few things lined up and I can give a hand !!!!

Carlos

Rob,

Host a rally now, then the first night when everyone is asleep, lock up all the trailers and hold the boats hostage until everyone puts in 8 hours of work!

Rich D

I'm glad your a young man Rob. An old f@rt like me wouldn't live long enought to finish half that list.

fatrap

I work like a dog at night and on weekends. I've been putting in 7 days a week for about 9 weeks now. Get a solid 12-14 hour day on the weekends. My brother is coming for Thanksgiving and staying at the house. Guess what he's doing for 4 days??? And it ain't all turkey and football. Oh sure, the game will be on in the background, but I've found it hard to hear the score over the saw and nailer!

Pick a weekend and I'll come up and give you a hand. Once deers seasons over I'm pretty much free every weekend. I only work on stripping my woodwork after work hours. More than happy to help but of course you'll have to put me up for the night. Jim

No problem. Any time you can make it, it's much appreciated Jim.

Sounds Like time for a party at Robs house.. of course we may have to wait until the spring thaw.. But on the old home front I would like to offer 7 yrs worth of truth. Do the outside when the weather is good. Do the inside when the weather is ugly or cold.. I know it hurts but if you do the hard stuff first, the rest is a piece of cake. I have 4 rooms left upstairs that I need to take down to the studs,insulate and rewire. Then I will be ready to start over with the kitchen and the bathroom. Come spring (May in your neck of the woods) I would love to trade a days labor for a day on the water.. Heck by May I made trade 2 days for a home cooked meal.....LOL...

BF

You're on, but come spring, I'm on the water. So you come out some weekend during the winter and help, beer and home cooked food is included, then come spring get back out when I'm not guiding and you get time on the water. How's that sound? Or we can fish by day, and work by night. But after fishing 10-12 hours, I am usually not ready to work on the house for 4 or 5 hours at night.

Rob: After 10-12hrs of fishing it's nap time for me.. Don't ever remeber fishing being hard work but after a full day on the water I am toast. I can probably give you a Sunday or 2 between now and xmas if you got something you need to be done by then.. My 2 worst things are concrete and soildering copper pipes.. other than that I get by. Let me know.. Just send an e-mail or post it public if you want to try and drum up more help.. I can leave sat after work. Help on Sun and drivr back mon..

BF

Hey, works for me Bruce. I'll be there this weekend. I'm hunting Thanksgiving weekend! I deserve it! LOL But every weekend other than that, I'll be pounding out things on the house. Then when I have the killer house warming party, (there will be two, one for friends and relatives and then THE one for those who helped with the house in any way), you'll be invited. It will be full of cigars and top shelf liquid refreshments. Fine food and music, lots of fishing stories/lies and a place to crash for those who are too well "enhanced" to drive home. A "pre-rally"! LOL

Rick, I am the king of my castle...But she turns the throne!

Gene

Rob E-mail me your address so I can do a map check and figure out a route. Maybe able to do the 23rd of this month if that works for you.

BF

Latest posts

Back