The infamous Senko -- WHY it works...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
I'll ask a stupid question, but it's been bothering me. The senko cost thread talked a lot about skipping under docks and such. Well, that's what I do with my wacky worm and it produces.

So, my question is... are we showing "any" bait to fish that normally don't see baits in that area, or is the bait what makes the difference?

Yes and sometimes.

IMHO,

Fish are opportunistic feeders.... if you present anything to them, that doesn't spook them, they will likely hit it. It is then up to the angler to catch the fish. Fish don't have hands, they have to touch everything with their mouths, even if it is just to move it (and not neccisarily feed).

They are also more inclined to hit easy prey than hard prey... meaning easy to kill and eat, vs having to chase something down.

There are times, however, when you need something more... the fish are in a "negative" feeding mood or on beds, suspended, etc... Those are the times when the differences can be the thing.

The reason, IMHO, that the senko outproduces other plastics deals more with the texture and taste of the bait, and not specifically the action... The fish hold onto the bait much longer than other baits.

Dont't read me wrong here, the action is a killer... something slowly fluttering to the bottom that has a profile like a wounded shiner....

If you've ever seen the video (mostly seen on Roland Martin's show), of the vibration and fall of a Senko, you will understand it's effect on bass. It's truly amazing to watch it. Rigged correctly, it will fall horizontally, and both ends will 'quiver' up and down. Tantilizingly slow.

Once I saw the video, I knew that I needed to learn to fish this bait.

Tex

TT -

In the video, does he fish it with the hook in the head or wacky style?

I think fish have become gormet feeders, eating all the expensive stuff.....

T.S.

Aren't these the same fish we throw a piece of LEAD at with a hook and catch? Yamamoto is a smart feller.

Latest posts

Back