Thanks to all that posted about "corn squeezin's" in fuel

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Finally got around to changing my fuel line, bulb and fuel filter today. I want to sincerely thank all of you that posted about this subject. I purchased the Mercury Marine replacement fuel line / bulb with the blue writing - Ethanol compliant.

My 3/8" black fuel line coming from the tank to the bulb was rated "A1", which is what I wanted, and it looked good when I checked both ends and cut a small piece off to test.

HOWEVER... When I took the bulb off and cut the grey hose with the red writing - this is what I found:

DSCF1537.jpg

Accident just waiting to happen!

Changed out the line and the fuel filter and got everything put back together tonight. I am planning on running it tomorrow in the driveway on the muffs to make sure everything works right, and then plan to head to the lake on Sunday.

Thanks again everyone! Since I'll own this one for a LONG time, I gotta make her last!

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

Glad you caught it before it became a problem.

I had a similar deal going on on my boat and its a 2008. I had the lines changed in 2009 when i had the boat winterized and i had signs of this happening after only two seasons on the boat.

The bottom line is this ethanol stuff causes problems and its something all boaters should not take lightly and make sure they educate themselves on the precautions needed to keep their boats running right.

Glenn, since you own this one nown, I have a question. I have just sold both my Bass boat and my Bwennington Pontoon and purchasrd a tricked ouy 260 hp boat with an I/O. What precautions should I take for local corn squeezins'? I do have access to non ethanol fuel.

I know, easy answer

Bill,

If the "non-ethanol" gas is truly ethanol free (some make the claim, but they really aren't), that is all I would run in my boat. From what I've read, there are test kits to check; however I haven't bought one because I have yet to find anywhere around San Antonio that even claims to have ethanol-free gas. Don't have many marinas this far inland, so I'm still looking.

I'm not well versed in this subject, so I've been studying. The hardest question I had was in regards to the fuel line coming from the tank, as it seems most people were guessing about that one. As it turns out, the most recommended fuel line for ethanol is one rated "A1", and a highly recommended brand is Trident. I went to their website and checked it out for myself, and then checked my black line coming from the tank to the bulb. It looked perfect on the inside and is rated A1, so I'm comfortable keeping it.

All the best,

Glenn

I have alternated fuels with and without ethanol for about 10 years with no issues but with higher prices was considering going only with the lower-priced ethanol blend. This has me rethinking that plan.

Fishfool, if you have access to ethanol free gas you would be a fool not to use that in your boat. Whatever premium you pay is worth it.

Glad you caught it before any major issues Glenn. I would strongly suggest increasing your tank dosing of stabilizer and Ring Free/Quikleen for the next several fills. From your pics the breakdown has been occurring for a bit and the extra additives will help clear the system of deposits and any residual gelling. Good luck! ;)

Whew! Glad I ran it in the driveway today to verify I had put everything back together properly. I guess when I put the throttle linkage back on the engine after replacing the fuel filter, I got something bound up. When I gave it a little gas to make sure everything worked, it just made a slight bogging down sound - no increase in rpm's. I pretty much knew it was the linkage, so I took it apart, found that I had indeed put it back on incorrectly, reinstalled it and cranked it up - all fine now. Runs good. Did all my other normal maintenance while I was out there - checked fittings, nuts and bolts, greased everything up, etc...

Should be ready to go in the morning. From the looks on my wife's face this afternoon, I take it that it will only be me and my son tomorrow. :rolleyes: Oh well... her loss. Bass should be hitting frogs tomorrow in the grass. Looking forward to getting a few bites and running the boat around.

All the best,

Glenn

Went to change my line and found that I must have done it last year or year before. It was already the new kind of line. BUT.....just for grins I took it off to inspect it and sure enough, found the same thing you did Glenn. One hell of a varnish build up. So I am going to replace it. Main line, like yours, is fine.

I began pumping out my fuel, which incidentally is NOT easy, and found my fuel to be OK. That Startron stuff works. Looks fine and still smells like regular gas. I will hit it with some more Startron and top off with fresh gas.

Best news yet was that I stopped at the reservation a few miles from my house and the attendant informed me that they still get their gas from Canada and it's ethanol FREE!!!!:D Oh and yeah....it's $0.30 cheaper per gallon! Huh, ain't that sumpthin. Cheaper and better all in one. Lets you know just how bad the guvment is screwing us....especially in NY!:angry:

Latest posts

Back