Tach Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Magrew

Reaction score
Got a 2010 Z-8. While running along about 5000 rpm, tach will suddenly jump up to the 6000 range with no change in motor sounds. After a few seconds, it falls back to normal

readings. Any ideas?? Never happens when in the 4000 rpm range.

Thanks,

Rod

My old 929 would jump to 8 grand:lol: Usually if I smacked it, it would go back to normal. Could be a loose wire, bad ground or the tach is goin out.

My tach is all over the place. Took it in to get fixed and they said it was shot. I need to order a new one. My friend had similar issues and he brought it in to fix. They said it needed to be calibrated. Yours may need the same.

Last edited:
I copied this possible solution from Teleflex Marine web page. This is exactly what I had and this procedure fixed it. Just make sure you go back to the original setting. Look for the arrow head on the selector screw and the corresponding setting printed on the back of the tach. Mine is an older 1999 Teleflex tach.

"As analog tachometers age they sometimes begin to behave unpredictably and do not always display the correct RPM. Sometimes tapping on the glass brings the tachometer back to the correct reading

Latest posts

Back