Survey Says:

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
O.K. here's my question, when most of you fish Carolina Rig's do you use a spinning reel or baitcaster reel? Currently I use two Shimano 200GT TE and I noticed alot of guys in our club use spinning outfits and I was wondering if I should switch over. This is a method of fishing I have only tried a couple of times and I fiqured I might as well use what is the more practical, being I'm just learning this technique. Thanks for any input.

Buzz

Buzz I use spinning tackle. But this is mostly due to the fact I just started learning a baitcaster. Currently I am only throwing a spinnerbait while learning...

I use a baitcaster because I use heavy line and a lot of weight. Not to say that I don't downsize and finess them once in a while.....with a spinning rod.

TOXIC

Baitcaster. However, with something like a mojo rig, split shot rig, or drop-shot rig, you might want to use spinning, just due to the weight of the rig being so light that it's a problem using a baitcaster.

Carolina rigs are typically 1/2 to 1 ounce weights.

baitcaster i think is much more common for c-rigging around here. i hadn't even thought of a spinning reel for c-riggin but i guess they would work. I use the curado and the 7' All Star mentioned above by Dave. Also have some Falcon 7' Rods (lizard dragger) which are made specifically for c-riggin which i like just as well. i like them so much i use them a lot for pitchin spinnerbaits, worms, craws, and tubes.

jd

I have one of both set up. If I am fishing 12lb test or heavier I will use a baitcaster. There are time I will use 8 or 10 lb test on a spinning. I also use a spinning reel with a drop-shot rig.

I mostly use a Baitcaster for my C-Rigs however, When I am Fishing shallow water I will use a Mod C-Rig. Its the same rig only downsized. Great for Clearwater and Smallmouth!!

Max

That Dave Sawicki is a smart men....BTW All Star also makes that same blank in a spinning. Must be a reason Buzz. :)

Personally I will let the conditions tell me what to use. Heavier line and weights, casting. Lighter line and weights (also HEAVY wind) spinning. I rarely go over 10-12 pound test with spinning tackle.

Mini

Like everyone else, most of the time baitcasting because I am using heavier line, weights and rod to pull the rig over and through rocks and stumps and weeds and whatever is lying on the bottom. The heavier weight line and rod also help to transmit a feel of what is happening down below to my hands.

However, there are some times when a lightly rigged worm with a light weight and line on a spinning rod will do the trick like nothing else!

me!

i use a baitcaster only no matter what weight i use. The lowest i have ever used a 1/4 oz and i can get away with that on a baitcaster. I like a stout rod for c-rig because you need to be able to get a powerfull hookets. There is so much line out there when you c-rig that a good hookset is essential. I fish the c-rig a ton and i use a mh st croix avid ror in 6'6 or a 7', i also use a high speed retreve reel like a 6:1 curado. When your fishing for smallies on champlain just fish it as slow as you can, sometimes i have found there you need to creep it along and keep it moving all the time but moving slow for hte fish to take it. I dont know what you plan on using for a lure but dont be afraid to use a 8" lizard for smallies. sometimes they want that big bait and wont touch something smaller. an 8" zoom in watermallon chartruse is just the ticket. i also use that in 6" and 5"

Jim,

You are giving out some real good info.....:(....lol

Works great here too with Zoom Magnum Lizards, 1oz weight, 24" leader.....BIG smallmouth.

Mini

Maybe that's why I only catch small smallies when c-rigging for them cause I use the 4" Zoom lizards!! I'll have to try the bigger ones. Most times I just drag a Zoom grub anyways and have caught all size ranges from dinks to my biggest: 4.5lbs. Still looking for the 5lber!

Bob G.

From the home of Carolina Rigs (Lake Wylie, NC/SC) . . .

Baitcasters. For me, just can't imagine using a spinning reel (though I use this for TX rigged worms all the time) for C-Riggin'.

Tex

i use baitcaster. but i suppose you should use what's the most comfortable for you. not so much line twist with baitcaster. stan

Latest posts

Back