Best Reel For Price

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike mcmenamin

Reaction score
Guys:

Starting next year I will be using spinning reels for most of my bass fishing. I will continue to use baitcasting reels, but need some input on spinning reels. What is the best spinning reels for the price. $75.00 to $100.00 range. Average fish size is between 1 1/2 lbs and 4 lbs. reels will be used to throw a variety of lures. Fish the northeast.

Thanks

Mike

Easy, BPS Pro Qualifiers. The new models with the oversize spools so you can throw braid. They take a little getting used to but once you fish them, you'll like them. Excellent drag system and the bigger spools are great for mono and fluro as well as braid.

TOXIC

i agree, though i dont own a newer one, I tried one out a friend owns and it was pretty nice, i own 2 of the older ones.

mike c

I love all my BPS reels .You can't really go wrong.

Mark

Have you looked at the Quantum's?They have a great line of spinning reels in your price range.The Catalyst PT is an 8 bearing reel wilt long spool for castabality if thats a word.TiMag bail with bail return magnets.No return springs.Lifetime warranty on the bail and return mags.$110 They also have the Kinetic.Same reel with 6 bearings.$90 Both come with a spare spool.I think they are great reels.I'm also a rep for them,could you tell?

Hey Mike,

You know I tried all sorts of reels and either wore them out or just plain did not like them. So I finally this past season gave all my spinning reels to my son and bit the bullet and bought three Quantum Energy reels. I went from having seven that I was just not happy with to three I can't do with out. If you only need a couple spend a few more bucks and be Happy Man! I bought the first on ebay in the december last year and the other two in January on ebay as well and the most I spent was $125 with shipping. it is a good time to sharpen your bidding skills, everyone after Christmas is sick of shopping and those couple of weeks after you can get some great deals. Good luck and if you pick one up let me know how well it does for you.

The Dragon

Well KB turned me on to Pflueger Presidents. Come in about 7-8 different models and although I am partial to the 6730 models that are all very good. Right around $70 each. Extremely smooth and I have not had any problems with them. I now have nine (all 6730's) and unless someone gives me something else I am sure I will stay with the Pflueger. I still have the Pflueger baitcaster reel my Dad bought me for my eighth grade graduation (yes they had schools back then - LOL) It is 47 years old and still works great and I plan to hand it down to family when I'm gone. I also have the (fiber)glass rod for it made by Zebco.

My two cents worth!

Dragon,Thanks for the vote to my side.I also do in store promotions for BPS and we sell everybody's reels.There are alot of great equipment out there and alot is personal choice.

I'm with Bill in VA. I have three Pflueger Presidents and they are awesome. I'm partial to the 6730's as well and I have a 6735, which is a tad larger. It's good for drop shotting with my 7' spinning rod. I've also used the BPS Extreme (old style), and an assortment of Quantums. Still favor the Pfluegers.

Not a bad recommendation in the whole list!! All good reels,..but you really can't go wrong with the BPS stuff...all things considered, they're as good or better than most, and you'll always be able to get them serviced or replaced locally if you ever have a problem. Consider the Browning reels too.......I use those and they're outstanding!! Have fun shopping!!;)

Mac

BPS Pro Qualifiers get my vote also! I've had a couple of the old ones for several years now and I love them. I'm planning on purchasing a couple of the new ones with the large spool after Christmas, my wife and in-laws always get me BPS gift certificates.

I'm also with Rich and The Dragon, Quantum makes a fine spinning reel. I'm just partial to BPS stuff.

Steve

I don't like to use a spinning reel at all, but I do because certain things it better at then a baitcaster. So in saying that I will not spend alot of money on one. I have found one I really really like and is an excellent reel, that is the Gander Mtn, Guide Series reels, they are like $30 with 5 ball bearing. For that price if I get 1 year out of it, it was worth it! So far I still using the one I bought 3 years ago and they still work like brand new!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there just one other company that makes the oversize spools like BPS? The thing I like about them is that the wide spool makes for way less line twist plus allows for better casts with braid. I was throwing one of my older JLM spinning reels and a client was throwing one of these, and he was out casting me by a good ways....and he wasn't that good of a caster!!:lol:

TOXIC
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_90612_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

Toxic,

USReel makes a wide spool. Its a bit more money than BASS Pros's. It looks like the same reel as BPS. Who knows they probably make it for BPS. I have one on my Xmas list

http://www.usreel.com/

Mark

I use one of the original US Reels and it is a very nice reel--smooth and is proving durable during its no care, no maintenance life with me. However, I prefer the much less expensive Mitchell 30# series, also smooth and durable. Performance is the same as the US Reel [I think casting distance becomes equal because I throw a longer spinning rod] so money becomes the deciding factor-two reels for the price of one. The newer models are also better looking now for those who are fashion conscious.

Another Quantum spinning reel fan here! I have two Catalyst (40 series) and plan on purchasing another (probably 30 series) before warm weather hits again. I also have a BPS Qualifier reel (5.3:1 ratio, 10 bearings) however haven't used it since my wife's dog chewed the rubber off the reel handle knob last year. I really liked that reel. :(

You pretty much get what you pay for with any of the reels. Spinning or Baitcasting. I have Penn's, Diawa's and Shimano's long casts for saltwater and fresh. One Diawa TX I have had in service for 18 years with one overhaul. Another Penn I use for bass fishing is 12 years old and never been touched except to oil it. I can cast just as far as the rest.

Spend 75 bucks, you get that 75 dollar quality level. Buy a "chopper gun" store brand reel you get the same level based on price.

I'm sponsored by my wallet!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

When it comes to spinning reels I feel like Shimano is the way to go. I love the feel of their spinning reels. I like how the spool is shallow which doesn't give as much of a "dragging" feeling while reeling and they are also very lightweight and small.

I have been using the Team Daiwa Advantage reels for the past couple of years and I love them. I currently have 5 of them. I sold all of my Curados to get the Advantages. I can't remember right off the top of my head who it was that had them on clearance, but BPS or Cabelas had them for like $49 or $59 a month or so ago. I started to buy a few at that price (they were going for $89 and up), but I looked today and neither had them listed on their sites. The only Advantage reels they had listed were the new '07 models for $159.

I think the Shimano Symetre reels are much better than the BPS reels. I own both, I prefer the Symetre reel over the BPS reel any day of the week and they go for the same price!!!

I have said it for years. The Shimano Symetre is the best bang for the buck in fishing!

I used to own 4 of them. I now throw JLM and ProQ's.

Can't beat the Phlueger President. I think the 6730 is one of the smoothest reels I have ever used. I used to have all Shimano Saharas. For the same price the President is much smoother and better finished.

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back