Stereo for Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark lejeune

Reaction score
With all the knowledge on this site. Maybe someone can lead me to the best deal. I'm wanting to install a stereo in my Nitro.Would appreciate any info as to what would work.Type of stereo.Waterproof or not.I have 2 Bose Boat speakers already would need just the stereo.Again any info would be appreciated.

I have had an XM sat. radio in my Nitro for about 8 years and I love it. I had a am - fm in it to start, but many times I could not get a local station to come in, and every time I go to a different lake, I had to try to find another local station. It is hard to get good reception in a lot of areas on different lakes. I bought a life time subscription, so no matter where or when I go, I can always get my favorite station. <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

I have sirius on the lowrance HDS, a waterproof amp and polyplanar waterproof speakers. It rocks!

I opted for a regular car stereo (non waterproof), since I have a fish/ski and my stereo sits in the glove box. It has worked great for almost 2 years now. If your stereo will be in a place that doesn't get wet, then you should be fine with a non-marine stereo.

I got one that allows me to stream audio over bluetooth, a USB input, where I can charge my iphone, or play music from a thumb drive. It also has an auxiliary input. Paid somewhere around $150 for it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=mex-bt3800u&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=510382875956265095&sa=X&ei=0MbBTYbvEcGa0QHw6Mm5CA&ved=0CEIQ8wIwAA#

I installed a pair of patio speakers, a marine amp and an iPod adapter. All totaled it was $100 on ebay. Cheap and simple. Hung the speakers under the consoles, drilled one hole in the boat other than screws for the amp.

My radio has a static issue from interference with the power line for the trolling motor. If I have the radio on and step on the trolling motor, it all goes to static. What's a reasonable way to deal with this?

Paul P,

Are you running your stereo off the same batteries as your trolling motor? I run my stereo off my starter battery and I don't have any issues.

I believe it is runn of the cranking battery but the same harness has the power lines for both the trolling motor and everything else I think.

Paul,

You might just need to put a filter on the antenna and possibly the power line. When i had my 882 i had a similar issue and it was because of the antenna's close proximity to the trolling harness. The filter cured it completly. Check these two links, one is for power the other antenna.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003S15A/American-International-S-15A-15-amp-250-watt.html?tp=2653

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003AS100/American-International-AS100.html?tp=2653

My opinion on the original question is yes, a marine stereo all the way. Even if you put it in a compartment that does not get wet there is a lot of moisture all over the place in boats and it will shorten the life of a normal radio. A good marine radio will have all of the boards coated and sealed against moisture.

Thanks Jim! I'll check into those products.

Thanks guys for all the info.Will be very helpful in making my choice.Looks like I will spend a little extra and go with a good waterproof system. Maybe it will last awhile. Grand daughter can't wait until the system is installed.Looking at a PYLE system with the waterproof inclosure.Again thank you'll for the assistance.Mark......

I HAVE A NX882 WITH A 1000 DOLLAR STEREO IN IT. WHOEVER SAID GO WATERPROOF WELL LISTEN TO THEM FOR SURE OR YOU'LL BE LOSING ALOT OF MONEY. THE MARINE SPEAKERS THEY MAKE ARE COMP SEALED AND WILL ACT PLAY SUBMERGED IN WATER !!! THE STEREOS ARE 90+% SEALED, BUT I PUT MINE IN ONE OF THOSE CASES WITH GLASS FRONT TO KEEP WATER OUT. I HAVE 2 INFIITY 6.5 SPEAKS, 2 6X9 JL AUDIO'S, A BASS TUBE IN MAIN BACK THAT HAS AN 8 INCH JL WOOFER IN EACH END. I MADE THE TUBE AND MADE IT 5 FEET LONG TO ACCOMDATE BOTH WOOFERS, THEYRE MARINE TOO, AND I HAVE AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER MARINE AMP POWERING IT ALL. I ACT WENT OVERBRD CUZ WHEN IT'S TURNED UP IN THE WATER, SITTING STILL IT MAKES THE WATER RIPPLE AND JUMP LIKE IT'S BOILING !!!! LOLOOL......I HAVE THE USB PLAYER FOR THE FLASHDRIVES IN STEREO, PLUS I HAVE AN MP3 RAN THRU THE AUX JACK..........YOU'VE NEVER HRD A STEREO LIKE THIS IN A BOAT BEFORE.......GUARANTEED !!!! LOLOL......LOOK AT MY PROFILE PIX

Latest posts

Back