Starting Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe T

Reaction score
Need some help...I have been having problems getting my 2000 Mercury 150 XR6 to start. I receently changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel lines, primer bulb. Still won't start. Cranks good, just won't turn over. I took one of the spark plugs out and sprayed starter fluid into the block and it cranked right up and ran for 8 hours with no problems starting. Once it sits overnight it won't start again unless i spray starter fluid into the block. Any suggestions? What the heck is going on.....

If it starts with a starter fluid, sounds like you might have bad fuel. Other potential is you're not getting enough electrical energy to the spark plug. Start with the easy fix first and see if using fresh fuel helps.

The spark plug is sparking pretty good. Also, if it were bad fuel I don't think it would run all day with no other issues, would it?

I have an '03 XR6. It is a hard start too. I did what you did-new plugs, fuel filter etc. The problem got worse ! I cleaned and re-installed the old plugs and now it's a lot better. Still a hard start, but not like it was. With the new plugs I'd back it in the water, and while still on the trailer, I'd start it. Sometimes it would crank till the starter motor would overheat and dis-engage on its own. Either way though, it never has failed to start.

Sounds as if it isnt getting any fuel at all. Maybe some type of vapor lock? When you prime it with starter fluid and it starts, the vacuum will pick up the fuel. I had a problem like that with my 97 and what I had to do on the intial start in the morns was to push the throttle knob and give it some throttle and a little choke. After it turned over I would give it a couple of revs (make sure you keep that knob in when you do this) and it would be fine all day. Last spring I took it to my boat shop and had them do a tune up. Dont know what they did but it starts right up everytime now without that intial start up procedure I had had to do for 10 years.

Max

i'm with mini,

but the enricher (choke)may also be not working for some reason? could be in your key switch to check for this take off the cowling as your looking at the stearn from in the boat it will be on the left of your carbs it is a littel brass colored can shaped thing with a button on top it has one yellow and one black wire from the key switch going to it.

just prior to starting press the littel black button for eight seconds and try to start the motor.

if it starts your key switch is bad or the enricher wires are not makeing contact.

if this dose not help then the fuel pump diaphram is the next course of action i would take.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I called a few places today and they all seemed to think it was the choke/primer on the engine that may not be opening properly to get it to start. The weird thing is once it get's warm. I don't have a problem running or starting all day. I ended up taking it in today so I will let everyone know what the verdict is. Hopefully not too expensive. Again, thanks for all the support. I am new to all of this so I guess it is a good learning experience.

thats exactly what i thought.

there is a way to activate the choke manualy as i described above.

Well the verdict is in...It was the starter switch. The switch would turn the engine, but not properly opening the valve to allow gas to completely get through. Starts up first crank now. Fishing in a tourney after work tomorrow so we shall see. Thanks again for everyone's response!!!!

Latest posts

Back