Spark Plugs/Oil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK ROMERO

Reaction score
One more? How often do you change the spark plugs and oil on my 1994 Nitro 180 FS. The last time was 2 years ago, but i have only used it during the summer. About 12 times on the lakes. I have put 17 hours on it since I got it from a friend.:huh:

Is your motor a four stroke? If not, what oil are you referring to?

I've only changed my plugs once in 11 years and they still looked ok.

A lot of times the pulgs can be cleaned up with a fine wire brush and your good for a few years but, I'm with Bob in what oil your referring to. Might want to change lower unit grease if that's what your thinking.

When I sold my 2000 929, it had the original plugs in it. My mechanics quote was "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :lol:

TOXIC

Spark plugs. A source of controversy. With the high prices that they cost, getting the most out of them is paramount. HOWEVER....performance suffers when they get "worn" or "fouled". Sometimes you will not notice any discernable change, but rest assured, it is THERE. Decreased fuel mileage {due to less-than-complete combustion}, is the primary factor.

Add "old" plugs, a dinged prop, dirty bottom, damaged skeg, and your boat could be off by a few MPH!! NOW.....with most of the 'glass boats...just to go 3-4mph faster means going up to the next size motor!!! I have always stated {especially to one of my pro-staffers}, that with all else being equal, "my boat will always outrun yours"

I recommend annual plug changes for this reason, and fuel additives with EVERY tank of fuel. My fav.....Sea-Foam. ;)

Hey bob when you say fuel additives every tank would you be specific. I want to make sure i run the best for my 125 elpto. And for the 2 cycle what do you recomend? Quicksilver ok?

'SEA-FOAM"! Mixed in the correct proportions! Quicksilver oils are the oils of choice. Personally, I use Amsoil....;)

Bob, the Nitro 180 FS 1994 is a two stroke. I have the 2 cycle oil in the bilge area and the gas tank right next to it.

So you don't need to change this oil that often? I guess it depends upon how much you use your boat!

Bob G. my Nitro 1994 180 FS is a 2 stroke. Ever since 1994, the owner had changed spark plugs and had yearly service on it. It only had 9 hours when I bought it in 2008. So you would think the spark plugs are good.

Marco,

You don't need to change the 2-stroke oil, it burns with the gas. It should eventually disappear.

Bob, the Nitro 180 FS 1994 is a two stroke. I have the 2 cycle oil in the bilge area and the gas tank right next to it.

So you don't need to change this oil that often? I guess it depends upon how much you use your boat!

Marco, that oil is for the injection into the motor. Keep it full with the proper type of oil, it will need to be filled often (normally once per tank of fuel), never changed as the motor actually uses it for operation. Don't let it run dry or your motor will go "Pop":lol:

TOXIC

I changed the oil in my 225EFI's tank 7 times already this year! Darn thing keeps getting lower. I think there may be a hole in it somewhere..... :)

Note to self: Fill it back up AGAIN tonight....

LOL at Mini. I only have to fill mine once a year. I need to get out more. :(

The longest run I have normally is 1/2 to 3/4 mile to and from the docks on the inland lakes I fish. The longest run this year was from Selfrige to the mile rds and back. I did run about 5-6 miles a couple weeks ago on Lake Michigan. I went out after perch :wub: with my son in law.

Gene

Latest posts

Back