Sit Rep on the Omaha Area

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
A quick situation report on my home area. As I looked at the levies holding the Missouri River(pronounced Misery River)back we have just maybe six feet until the water over flows and puts Council Bluffs under water. Interstate 29 will be closed by midnight tonight. Many smaller towns are flooded and people near the river are being evacuated. Bass Pro, my employer, is about a quarter mile from the river and things are looking grim as they have increased the amount of water coming out of the dams upstream.

My walleye trip to South Dakota this coming Monday is toast. It all kinds of sucks.

fatrap

Growing up on the banks of the mississippi River gave me a perpsective on the absolute futility of man's endeavors to "control" that river. According to the US Army Corps of Engineers I must be at least 2700 years old. I saw the "500 year floods" in 1963, 1968, 1973, 1993 and 2011, plus a couple of "100 year floods" along the way.

Someday, hopefully, the policies, plans and projects will change from the disastrous and ridiculous attempts to "control" the rivers to one much more sensible that will "accomodate" and "live with" the rivers. Mike I feel your pain and share your concerns because I have "been there and done that". I have the hat, t-shirt, pennant and the photo album.

In 1993 I looked out over the "bottoms" (the river valley between the "bluffs" in Illinois and Missouri). The Mississippi River is normally about 1/2 to 1 mile wide in the area north of my home town. That year, in mid-July it stretched from the base of the bluffs on both sides, a distance of just short of 13 miles wide. All but one or two of the Federal levees from St. Louis to Keokuk, Iowa had been breached or overflowed.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your neighbors.

Move to Omaha.....:lol: Seriously, sorry to hear about the cancelled trip. Let's hope Epply isn't under water when I fly in Sunday.

TOXIC

Sorry to hear about your plight. It's a shame that you guys have to suffer to keep the folks in N'awlins dry.:(

Your in our prayers. In South Tx we're praying for rain. Just another example of someone gets the chicken and someone gets the feathers.

Sorry to hear that. I go to that BPS when I visit my mom. I also play alittle blackjack at the riverboats while I am there. Hope it holds up.

Any thoughts on keeping all that water up there? Boggles my mind that we are sitting down here waiting for that water to arrive.

This year's weather is totally screwy. We ALL know that. I was up at about 2330 hours last night, Thursday, and watched a thunder/hail storm. We, in Northern Va, got 1.6 inches of rain in an hour. It was an awsome sight. I heard my sump pump downstairs run about every 3 minutes. I could actually hear it filling up. 23 years and never heard that before. Well, now in the light of day all looks good. I Bet the Potomac River and Occoquan Res are a mess with floating debris.Sure hope it all gets back to normal soon.

Tox your gonna see a sea of water. Where I live I'm cool but most my relatives are in for a soaking if the levy fails.

What you doing in Omaha?

Teri those riverboat are sittin way high now. I don't know if they're even open.

fatrap

I live in Fargo, ND....been there, done that and then some....over and over. Stay on the dry side, will be praying.

Sorry to hear this FR. I hope and pray the levies hold and the water drops soon. Take care and keep your "go" bag on the ready!

Mike,

Actually I am flying in next weekend....In Sunday, out Tuesday. We are burying my Uncle up in Iowa. I missed the funeral but need to be there for the burial ceremony. I'll be leaving an "event" and then heading to another. Good thing is that it looks like I will be heading back to the family in VA the end of next month. My time here in Florida is done.

TOXIC

Wish you had some time. I'd like to hook up even for a coffee.

fatrap

PS hope Eppley isn't underwater

Tox,

You doing Wisconsin this summer? Got dates?

Latest posts

Back