seafoam question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run premium in my engine with Don's (from Bass Boat Central) fuel cocktail, only reason I run premium is because our premium contains no ethanol! Mercury's recommended MINIMUM fuel octane for the Opti is 87 no where in the manual or any literature I have seen does it say you must run regular fuel. Ethanol is a 2 stroke killer IMO!

What Octane is Premium? I've seen and talked to Don and his recommendation is to run the proper OCTANE without ethanol if possible but to run the proper OCTANE with additives if E-10. Carbon is a killer faster than ethanol and that's what you are getting with premium fuel. But hey, it's a free country, you can put diesel in there if you think it will help:) I look at it this way, all outboards come from the factory with a lit fuse.............it's just that some have a longer fuse than others!! :p

To each their own and just to clarify, ethanol first and foremost plugs up the fuel delivery system whereas carbon plugs up the cylinder. I'd rather change filters, hoses, injectors/carbs, etc., WAY more than replacing a popped powerhead, but I'm a cheapskate. :D Good luck on whatever route anyone takes and I hope everyone sees thousands of hours on their outboards. ;)

The guy that works on my boat Told me to quit using seafoam said just to use sta-bill and non ethanol gas only and after a fuel pump rebuild last year

Oh... if I ever filled up and didn't add Seafoam and my mechanic found out... I would move down three rows in the choir... he would see to the necessary surgery with his trusty/rusty Swiss Army knife.... Amazing stuff that ought to be sold on late night TV by Ron Popeil! But, it works and works well for me.

Latest posts

Back