seafoam question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark barton

Reaction score
I currently use yamalube for my 90 mercury 2 stroke. Was wondering if you need to use both or just the seafoam. The can says to use a pint to 8-25 gallons. Does anyone what a better more specific ratio is? Thanks for any help!!!!!

I run a 4 stroke and 1 oz.(Seafoam) per gal. And that is in all my gas tanks for generator, lawnmower, and everything else.

Seafoam only all the time in all small engines in 1 oz per gallon of gas.

Double the amount for storage.

Read all of the label on the can.

I run 1 0z. of Mercury Quickleen and 1 oz. of Mercury Quick care per 5 gallons of premium fuel in my 150 Opti. Mercury has recommended Quickleen in every tank of fuel since 2001!

I always use Seafoam in my old Force/Tracker 120 hp. 2 stroke monster. Would love to get an upgraded new motor but everytime I look at even used motors I go into heart stroke and other nervious conditions the dealers do not like to see in their showroom. (Maybe it foaming at the mouth thing).

2 oz of sea foam
1 oz of sta-bil marine
1 oz of quickleen
Per 6 gallons of fuel

1 oz Quickleen per 5 gal of fuel.
1 oz Startron per 5 gal fuel.

I used to use Seafoam and Stabil but found that Startron does both, and stabilizes fuel the fuel better. I use it in everything that I own that takes gas. I've had a pressure washer, and two ATVs that sat for 2 years and fired right up when using Startron. I cannot say the same for Stabil.

RH

What does quikleen do?

Is there a need for a fuel stabilizer if the boat is being used pretty regularly?

Quickleen does nothing to stabilize the fuel. It cleans the fuel system and removes/prevents carbon build up which is a big killer for 2 stroke engines. According to the Mercury guru on Bass Boat Central it should be used at EVERY fill up. When I first started using it (on a carb'd Mercury 115), a lot of black gunk (carbon) was coming out of my exhaust plus it started easier and idled smoother after a tank or two.

I use my boat regularly and to be honest, I do not know if I need to stabilize the fuel. To me, it is insurance to prevent having fuel related issues. I'd rather be safe than sorry and Startron is not expensive.

Quickleen does nothing to stabilize the fuel. It cleans the fuel system and removes/prevents carbon build up which is a big killer for 2 stroke engines. According to the Mercury guru on Bass Boat Central it should be used at EVERY fill up. When I first started using it (on a carb'd Mercury 115), a lot of black gunk (carbon) was coming out of my exhaust plus it started easier and idled smoother after a tank or two.

I use my boat regularly and to be honest, I do not know if I need to stabilize the fuel. To me, it is insurance to prevent having fuel related issues. I'd rather be safe than sorry and Startron is not expensive.

I was just doing some reading on Star Tron and it seems to do everything quikcleen does as well, is there a reason you use both?

I'm just trying to grasp what each of these things does and what I should run in everything.

I run 1 0z. of Mercury Quickleen and 1 oz. of Mercury Quick care per 5 gallons of premium fuel in my 150 Opti. Mercury has recommended Quickleen in every tank of fuel since 2001!
Is there a reason you are running high test gas in your Opti? Are you aware that it is actually harming your engine? If I remember correctly, Opti's require 87 octane. If you search there were some long winded posts in the past concerning this. Big Dan has a canned answer that pretty much sums it up.

As for the stabilizers, I run a mix of Ring Free and Seafoam "OR" Startron, not both. I like the Startron because it is a higher concentrate and treats a lot more fuel for the $.

Tox tells no tale. When your two stroke is designed for a particular octane (consult owner's manual or mfr. as they do vary per application) that is really what you should stick with. Occasionally breaking from that level isn't a big concern or worry, but prolonged use of higher octane leaves heavier carbon deposits. (Higher octane burns colder, not hotter, leaving more sludge.) Carbon kills two strokes. It is best to keep fuel doped with stabilizer (water combatant and octane regulant) and a treatment (system cleaner and decarbonizer) in every tank in proper ratios. It's pennies up front compared to a powerhead replacement sooner than necessary. Good luck! ;)

I use both Quickleen and Startron because it makes me feel better. As Dan wrote above, carbon is a killer of 2 stroke motors and Quickleen is designed specifically to clean out carbon. Startron is designed as a fuel stabilizer with some cleaning properties. I don't feel safe using just Startron alone. I know it works well and have had fuel sit for 2 years (in an ATV) that burned fine when treated with Startron . Also, you cannot "overdose" with either product so I figure it is better than safe than sorry.

RH

I stay with Seafoam (4 stroke), every so often 93 octane in boat and cars just to run hotter for one tank, but the wife's car uses min 91 octane.

cq

@TOXIC
I just took the word of a mechanic and did not do any research, but after doing a large search, my conclusion is, if it says 87 run 87 or 91 + run 91+. The results of running a higher octane in lower octane engine does not increase efficiency, does not increase power or clean the internal parts, it does cost you money.

My Bad as my Grandson says,

cq

Latest posts

Back