Scent Options

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
Anyone use "Scent".

Going to the Cape for some SmallMouth /Largemouth fishing in 2 weeks. I tried scent a long time ago and was never really sold on it. but now that I am fishing more rubber, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on particular scent that may or may not work good? Thanks all

I've used several, and the best seem to be Smelly Jelly and Kick'n'Bass. The Smelly Jelly stays on much longer, but the scent is very strong, and the Texas heat always ends up melting my "jelly" into a liquid within a few hours of being on the water.

More important that applying scent (just my opinion) - is controlling your own scent as you handle plastics. Anytime I use sunblock or before I start fishing for the day, I always wash my hands. I use the same scent control soap I use for deer hunting - Hunters Specialties Scent-A-Way Antibacterial Deodorizing Soap. It pulls the oils and scents out of my hands good enough for hunting, so I figure it works just as well for fishing. I used the bar soap for a while, but lately I carry a bottle of the liquid instead. It's much easier to store and use.

I don't know if my way of thinking actually makes a difference or not, but I think it does, and that alone probably helps my fishing. I fish harder when I'm confident, as most people do.

All the best,

Glenn

I have tried a few different scents myself. Lately I have been using the Mega Strike. I have caught a few fish while using it but I can't be sure that I wouldn't have caught them anyway. A buddy and I were talking about this recently and one of the things he said is that he believes that using scent does more to mask our human scent than to mimmick a craw fish scent or whatever. That makes sense to me.

Same with guys that smoke. I don't myself but if coffee tubes work so well (IMHO) then why not cigarette scent? Just a thought.

I like Smelly Jelly, i use two kinds. one is the crawfish/salt glitter and the other is bass feast. I find both work extremely well, better then anything else i have found.

The only issue with it is like Glenn said it can melt into a liquid if you leave it in the sun or a hot compartment. What i do to combat that is i throw the jar into an old beer kuzi lined with a bag and ice in it on really hot days( i dont want to smell up my cooler). It keeps it from becoming liquid and when the ice melts i just add more from the cooler. I also dont store it in the boat.

I use what Yamamoto sends me!!:lol: I think it is Megastrike and it is what they use in their pours. I also use Smelly Jelly but mainly for crappie, I use the green bottle that is Shad flavored. I have put it on my bass baits as well.

TOXIC

I like megastrike.......won't go into the psychology behind it, but I know I have let fish swim around with the stupid lure and they just wouldn't spit it out. Competitively priced, not messy and lasts a long time. Nope, don't have stock in it:lol: Good Luck!

JP

I haven't tried Megastrike yet, but after all this talk, I think I might go get some to try. I love using Smelly Jelly, but it makes a mess. KNB makes an even bigger mess.

Thanks for justifying another trip to BPS. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I use only 2. When fishing plastics for smallies I use Bang garlic. When I throw jigs for largeheads I use baitmate maxx....anise oil scent. And of course all Berkley powerbaits and Gulp are naturally scented. Has always worked for me. Another trick I do is when I put on sunblock (which mine also has bug repellant) I wash my hands afterwards with scent free soap I keep in the boat and then I put a small dab of the anise oil baitmate on my hands and rub it in like lotion. I handle my jig a lot when pitching so I don't want to leave any scent on it that would turn fish away. Seems to work. It might just be a confidence thing, but I'll keep on doing it that way.

cool thanks all.

I will try the MegaStrike over the next few weeks for smallies and LM. I will let you know how I do with it. THanks again

Toxic - yes, Megastrike is private labeled for Yammamoto. Just don't leave the tube of Megastrike directly in the sun! I keep it 'on ice' when really warm.

Tex

dont use it much. if I do lately its GULP! spray.

Tip for those wanting to use Kick N Bass.

Get a plastic sealable container (you know, the one the wife store's the leftovers in). Get two of the scotch brite sponges (about 2" wide, 4" long or so). Glue one in the top (using the scotch brite side to glue), and one in the bottom. The 'sponge sides' will face each other.

TIP: Glue them so they will face/meet each other.

Apply a generous amount of Kick N Bass and seal shut. When you want to apply it to a soft plastic, open it up, place the bait between the top/bottom (sponges), and generously coat it. Unbutton and take out your bait with Kick N Bass applied.

Just beware, left like this, it will have a POWERFUL smell when you open it. This technique works fairly good, but after one season of using it, I simply went to MegaStrike and also carry 'Carolina Lunker Sauce' (name may be a little off).

Tex

Latest posts

Back