Roof Rack On My Truck

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Why don't people utilize the roof of their crew cab P/U's and install a roof rack..? I would like to do that myself, and install a rack with a metal basket, but I'm having a heck of a time finding anything on-line. Seems that it's just not done. I've got a heck of alot of space up there, seems like it would be something I could do...Is this even possible..?
RAM.jpg

Why would the leaking hazard be any different from installing aftermarket racks on vans or suv's..? I installed one years ago on my Cherokee and never had a leak during the 6 years I owned it.

Smitty, you can do it. Too bad you dont live closer. I have the Yamika roof basket with extension sitting in my garage collecting dust. You would probably need to get the adapters that clip around the window wells. Try going to Yakima.com and put in you car and see what they have. Might be more difficult since you dont have a factory rack or rails. I put my rack on a Ford Sport trac whenever I went kayaking with friends.

Ok, just curious so I went to Yakima and entered 2008 Ford F150 Super Crew (thats what I thought it was from pic not sure on year). You can have a rack system using Q towers. I used to have a set not sure what is in the garage or if I still have them. But, you can have a rack. I have the Mega Warrior basket with extension. I would be able to reach it if I put it on the Armada. :p

Teri...I'm offended..It's a Dodge..Thanks for the info, that's the type of basket I'm looking for, just need the rack...

Don't do it...todays truck roofs are paper thin...some even rattle in wind!

Besides, it will eventually leak.

I spoke with a Chrysler vehicle tech where my wife works today. They handbuild all the Chrysler brand show and commercial shoot cars. He advised that I/he could put a rack on no problem, and that I would have no worries about leaks...however, he said it would be virtually useless because (at this time), the roofs are not engineered structually for a rack...however, he indicated that may be changing in the near future..says it's an idea the Ram brand has been tossing around for some time now. So..I'll just fugetaboutit..

...it would just interfere with the mini-gun anyway........unless you were going to use the basket to hold more ammo....then we could just elevate the gun a few inches!! :rolleyes:

I was gonna weld a tray into the basket to catch all the hot brass..

Latest posts

Back