I would like to install a hotfoot on my 1996 Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvin Roberts

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I have a 1996 Nitro 170TF, 115 Mercury. One thing I would like to do is install a hotfoot in my boat. It had hydraulic steering on it when I bought it but I think a hotfoot would be a nice upgrade. Especially since the throttle lever doesn't seem to stay where I put it. It will back off a bit if I don't hold it in place. I have a few questions about the hotfoot though...

1) I have tools, know how to use them, used to mechanicing...so should I be able to install this myself?

2) I would assume I will need a longer cable. From searching the forum it looks like most people do. How do I know how long it needs to be?

3) Do most who install a hotfoot move or add trim switches to the steering wheel area or leave them on the throttle lever?

Yes , you can do yourself. You will need a longer cable, I would go 2' extra. You can leave the trim switches alone and add blinker style if you wish. I coiled up my old cable and left it in the boat. I just took a tape measure to get my size. Just be sure when screwing the hotfoot to the floor you use short screws and stay way from the side of the boat.

Latest posts

Back