Rod Lockers on a 94 170DC

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Sandberg

Reaction score
I have a 94 170DC and it is plenty big and fast enough for me, The only issue I have is the rod lockers only appear to fit 6 foot poles and even then they can be a chore to get in and out. I was just wondering what other have done for rod hold downs ontop of the deck or other areas for the bigger poles? I have a couple 6'6" that I use alot and no good place to hold them lol.

I had no problems getting my seven footers in my 170 DC. I used rod socks to keep them seperated. Slide the rods along the sides of the hull.

fatrap

Dual Console.

Thanks Fatrap Just realized there is a hole in the top front of the rod locker that makes enought room for many 7 footers I already started building a plate to put in there with tubes so I can slide them in real easy. Thats amazing i never thought a 7 footer was gonna go in there lol. Now If I can just figure out how to strap a few down on the deck i will have it made.

Sandman,

Until you get those tubes, rod socks are the only way to go my brutha! In fact, once you got with the rod socks, you may not even bother with the tubes.

JP

Sandman,

Got the same boat, only a SC and I have the velcro-type straps in the front and a rubber-type hold down in the back, both work great. The front velcro straps are a common name, which I can't remember right now for some reason, I'm sure someone on here will know. They are black with red lettering, fairly inexpensive and easy to install. Good Luck.

JP

I had rod saver straps on mine. worked great. Lots of times I just stuck the rods under the passenger console. I kind of wish I had my Ricky Clunn 170 DC now instead of the Tundra. I was a great boat and I had no problems with it ever.

fatrap

My passenger usually sticks there poles under the passenger's side console butt end first and that seems to work out great. But on the front If i lay a 7 foot rod on the deck they are longer than the carpeted part of deck and they would bend upwords on the fiberglass if i strap them down or slide into the trolling motor I spose If I put some kind of riser under a front strap to put them at a upwards angle that would keep them from getting bent up. Then i'll probably trip over it and fall out of the boat haha. I do love this boat though it fits everthing I need small enough for the tiny back waters I like to go in. it only does about 43mph with a 90hp merc but thats fast enough for me anyhow. I have a trolling motor ? also but i'll start a new post on that.

The Rod Savers are the way to go. Yes, they wil bend thee rod tips upward, but this is for a brief period while running and so far I have had no issues with rods breaking from it. When you get to where you are going to fish you unstrap them for use anyway. A minor inconvienence for saving rods from flying out of the boat while on plane:cool:

Tim

Latest posts

Back