Replacement Trailer

• Thread starter Jimmy Easterling
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
My trailer was totaled in an accident and if the boat is to be repaired, I am going to need a new trailer. Tracker tells me one is 4-6 weeks out from them. Spare trailers for Z7 for friends to borrow are scarce. Any ideas?

After owning several boats / trailers, I will never own another "painted" trailer again. My current one is galvanized. Never a lick of problems with it. If I were in your shoes, I would take the time and money to get a galvanized or aluminum channel frame trailer. My fishing buddy has a custom aluminum made for his boat and it looks awesome. He really likes it. Custom is the way to go in my book.

All the best,

Glenn

Tons of shops. I'd look for a local custom trailer builder with a good reputation. Every place I've been stationed or lived, I knew where the local trailer shop was - whether for parts, or repair. In VA, it was Portsmouth Trailer. In Pensacola FL, I don't recall the shop name, but they took my rusted painted trailer, stripped it to bare metal, repaired it, and galvanized it. Looked brand new when I picked it up, and worked perfect the entire time I owned it.

All the best,

Glenn

I know there are a lot of variables, but ballpark, how much $ are we talking to strip and galvanize a trailer (18.5-ft boat). I have typical surface rust showing up and it's only going to get worse.

I'll have to search for some pics.

Jimmy,

Ive been in your shoes-twice. Both times my boat was hit while it was parked. The first time I opted for an after market trailer. Tracker told me the same thing 4-6 weeks for a new one. SO, I went with the faster replacement, about 4 days. I hate that trailer to this day. It doesnt track the same, the boat doesnt fit like like the old one.

The second time, just 3 months ago. I waited for an exact replacement, about 7 weeks. Worth the wait, it fits the boat and vice versa.

Neither of my boats are full sized fiberglass rigs. I can only assume that a heavier, longer boat will fit better on a trailer designed around it. It might be worth the wait.

Just my 2 cents worth !!

Good point Ken S. After reading your reply, I wanted to clarify what my meaning was.

There is a big difference between "aftermarket" and "custom". Steer clear of "aftermarket one-size-fits-all-with-some-bunk-modifications" trailers. That is not what I'm talking about.

I was referencing a full custom replacement trailer, built for YOUR boat at the time of purchase. It's not a 4 day job. It's going to take several weeks at a minimum, plus a boat "fitting" or two when it's ready.

The company that rebuilt my trailer took my boat off on a lift, and put it on carpeted skids while the trailer was being rebuilt. They adjusted them as my boat was being lowered onto it. One of my biggest problem areas was the L shaped flat bar brackets that were welded in place to hold up each bunk. Several of them were rusted to the point I thought they were going to break at any moment. My wood bunks were also in need of replacement. They cut off the brackets, cleaned everything up, welded new ones in place, then blasted the entire trailer to bare metal before galvanizing it. There was a couple day's period when my trailer wasn't at the shop at all. They don't have galvanizing equipment in the shop, so they sent it out. Basically, they "built" me a new trailer with the basic outside of my original frame, axle and two tires as the only original parts that came back. They replaced:

All bunk brackets. All bunk boards and carpet. Rearmost cross brace (and modified the design - my drain plug was draining right on top of it). Both fenders / fenderwells - replaced boards, carpet, stripped old fenders and added diamond plate to the tops and steps on it They stripped all the wiring and brake lines from it, as well as removing the axle before sending it out. When it came back, they reinstalled the axle (already galvanized - it was a replacement axle from Portsmouth Trailer a year prior), re-ran the brake lines, and installed all new trailer wiring from front to back. I also had them put new LED lights all around. Figured since I was basically getting a new trailer, I'd do it right.

I don't recall the exact price, but for all I got done, I considered it a bargain compared to a new trailer, which was double the price of what I paid to get mine rebuilt. Not sure of either number, but I do remember it was half of a new trailer to do all my repairs / upgrades.

My next boat came with a galvanized trailer from the factory (Triton). I wouldn't have it any other way.

All the best,

Glenn

When you drive by the Nitro trailer factory on I-44 you see huge rolling grass fields full of hundreds, if not thousands of empty boat trailers. For a current model boat, I don't see why it takes so long to get one.

The 09 trailer that came with my Z7 was galvanized. There was paint chipped off the bottom of the fender well that I was supposed to have fixed, never did, and 2 years later not a spot of rust anywhere. The glass shop even commented that he had never seen a galvanized axle under a boat trailer.

And to answer your question about the boat, don't know yet, should know something the first of the week. I shoved the camera down in the trash can hole and in the back where I couldn't see. What do these look like?

15y6x3d.jpg

m6hav.jpg

Latest posts

Back