Remember "Me"... a prayer please....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
I received an e-mail this morning telling me that my friend, and an old longtime charter member here passed away... I've edited the text for purposes of posting the information here...

Here is, in part what I got this morning...

"Greg,

You do not know me but my dear friend Staci Matheis told me about you and ... the Nitro Board. I need to let you know that Staci was found dead in a wilderness area a couple days ago -- outdoors where she loved it best. A massive heart attack.

. . .

I know Staci often signed posts and the like "me!"

Sincerely,

Laurie Kilfoy"

I hope you who knew Staci will pause a moment and say a prayer for her...

I just recently noticed Staci responding to a "reply all" that Harpo sent out to our email addy's.

All I could say is this person was one of the "good people" with a big heart.

God Bless

CJL

I'm in shock. Although I never met her I did consider her a good friend. We talked on the phone many times. The last time I talked to her she call me while I was standing in the local BPS talking to BJ,so BJ got to talk to her too. Like Chris said I got a reply to the hook in eye e I sent around. I'm sorry now I didn't reply. She always talked about meeting at Mark Twain Lake for a camping/fishing trip....I never could find the time.

Despite being confused about who he/she was, Staci/Scott was a truly good person with a good heart and soul. I never did judge her for that...sure wouldn't want anyone to judge me for my choices in life. I'll surely miss her. I know this message board was a little less interesting after she was asked not to post here and now the Earth is a little less interesting.

VERY :(

Harpo

Oh my lord! I recieved my last email from staci on July 12th, I am at a loss for words.

I have known Staci for 5 years, and fished with her on my Tracker in the last Rally in 2004.

I am sure when she thought about passing, from discussions we have had, that being outdoors was where she wanted to spend her last time on this planet.

Trep :(

Folks.... it is a whole lot better to be happy than to be sad.... Almost four years ago, I spent a day fishing with Staci (Then Scott)... and posted about the day, here....

It is archived, but you can read it by searching for " Voice Command Shifter" in the archives...

God be with you old friend... And maybe in heaven shift cables don't break...

I just heard from Staci on July 31'st and she said she was doing very well.

I had actually been waiting for another reply from our converation, now i know why i had not gotten it yet...

Like Trep im at a loss for words.

Like everyone else who knew Staci im pretty :(:(

Shocked!.....Me was one of the earliest members on this board and would go out of the way to help anyone....God blees you 'Me'...RIP...Gone but not forgotten........................

Very sorry to hear the sad news :(

I had met her at the 2004 rally and seemed like a really nice person.

Peace be with her.

Steve ><}}}}'>

Very sad news, indeed.

I spent a lot of time with Staci, first when she was Scott, and later after she made her transition. Great sense of humor, truly caring soul, and in many ways, young at heart. Remarkable, considering the mental and physical burdens she had to carry.

Staci and I had a falling out a year ago, and I will always regret that this was the state of my relationship with her when she passed. However, it doesn't diminish the fact that I liked and respected many things about her.

Hope she's in a heavenly field somewhere, waiting for a squirrel to pop up.

Wow......I still have a box of "wooly buggers" she tied herself and sent to me shortly after I discovered this board. Big heart doesn't begin to describe her......

Rest in Peace, Staci.

TJ

Agree Rich...I may not have agreed with his/her lifestyle but, that's not me to be bothered by something like that unless it is being pushed on me.

I always thought she was pretty funny and will be missed.

Can't find the Rally photos, but pulled this from Staci's library

fishin%20in%20denim.jpg

:eek::(

Shocking!!!

Prayers sent, Rest in peace. God bless and help your friends and family through a tough time.

Mark

I've been a member for over 3 years. Although I am a "lurker", I visit the board several times every day. I for one can honestly say I have missed having Staci on the board. I rarely agreed with her, but she always kept things interesting. She has been, and will be, missed.

Damn! Talk about getting news that is unbelievable. Her lifestyle was different than I'm accustomed to, but she was always quick to offer help even when I first joined the board and lived in St. Charles, Mo., close to her.

There are some Rally pics floatin' around from Moor's that are pretty entertaining..

Prayers for Family and friends.

BruceM

As many have said, Staci had a very big heart and was one of the good ones.

I fished with Scott several times, and with Staci once.....first time a "skirt" has been on my boat, and neither one of them could catch fish!!! :D

Do you guys remember the Rally (I forget which numberit was) the first year after the transition??? She went to bed early and we stayed up a little late in the common room....she came in in her nightgown and yelled at us to go to bed in that big-booming Scott voice....I never laughed so hard in my life!!!

We exchanged a couple of emails the other day, and she seemed to be doing good.

Shocking news....life is short, get out there and enjoy it as she did.

I remember that Ken. Being a redneck from the sticks,,,that is one sight I will NEVER forget..:D:D

Very sad news indeed.:( My prayers go out to all her loved ones left behind.

Steve

That's not right.. I'm sorry I never met Staci-- Missed going to the rally--Preys said

Rick

For anybody looking for the rally photos,

they are under members letter "P" for rally photos.

Steve

I'll remember all the good times we had at the Rally. She really did have a huge heart and would do anything to help someone out. Another reason to live every day like it's your last. Rest in peace Staci.......

The internet is an amazing thing. I connected on my laptop this morning in my hotel room in <b>Leipzig, Germany</B> and read an e-mail forwarded by Greg (Meyer). I too am shocked. Staci and I had several phone calls over the last few weeks because she had found work just a couple of blocks from me. So excited and ready for new challenges.

I'm thousands of miles away, and yet the news still hits instantly like a ton of bricks.

My memories of Staci (and before then, of Scott), center around a day of fishing with a troop of blind and visually impaired Boy Scouts. It was a great day.

Her absence from the Board was noticable. Her absence from the world makes it a bit more dark.

Thanks, Greg, for shooting the e-mail to me.

It was "Me" who came up with the idea to have a "Rally Photos" member name to have a place to put all of the pictures from the get togethers.

A good soul who will be missed here on earth but will be truley happy in heaven.......

Wolf

Staci will be truly missed. I remember at the Moors rally on KY Lake presenting her with the monetary reward fo biggest crappie. Sad news indeed....:(:(

I too was at the rally and no one can put an event like that together like she did. She went above and beyond to make sure we had enough prizes and everyone had a good time. She will be missed.

Donnie

Boy this is something.. I have not been able to come up with any words. Ok no smart comments from you guys, not even from you "me" looking down at this. I saw her name in the Harpo hook in the eye thing and realized I should shoot her an e-mail. And then realized even more that it was my turn to call her. I didn't know Scott or "him" so she will always be Staci, she and "me" to me. I didn't write the e-mail or place the phone call and that makes me sick to my stomach now. I never met her except by e-mail, real letters and telephone, but I felt I knew her very well.

A couple of years ago I gave her a book entitled "Conundrum". It was a semi-biography of a woman named Jan Morris who was one of the very first trans-genders in Europe (she was English) and the travails she went through. Staci loved it and didn't believe I had that book and that "one of us" would understand anything about her at all.

She caused a lot of problems and fights here. That's for sure.:rolleyes: A lot of it stoked by people who couldn't get over what she, not in my words, was. But I tell you what, if you had a problem or trouble and told her about it, she would do anything within her power to help you out.

I knew about her change very early in my NTOWS days but the very first time she called me and I picked up my phone to hear what sounded like to me was an almost baritone voice threw me on the floor laughing. She didn't care and we joked about it for a long time. We talked to each other quite often and she helped me out a lot. When she told me that Rich asked her not to post here anymore I almost left too. Then she reminded me I was NOT in the argument and it was just my temper talking so cut it out.:)

I heard a lot of bad and nasty things about Staci from fellow members here especially in regard to the rally's. I tried to take up for her without being nasty to anyone else and I never told her about it, though I bet she knew.

A few have already mentioned that this place wasn't as lively after she left. I believe that wholeheartedly though there was a few who were glad. Maybe because she said what was on her mind some couldn't take it.

She will be missed by many and she'll be missed by me a lot. I don't know what else to say and probably have already said too much. Later, without a doubt I will think of the most remarkable thing ever said.:eek:

Goodbye Staci... You were a unique and wonderful person and I already miss you. You are in good hands now with our Lord and all of your doubts and fears are propbably already dispelled.

Uncle Billy <----------"me" gave me that name.....

Bill, thanks. You are another one of the "good guys" and I am proud to call you a friend.

BruceM

I did not know this person but my prayers are incoming for her/his family. We are all the children of God and he loves us all the same! It is not for us to judge someone unless we want to be judged and I don't think any of us are really ready to be judged by the Allmighty.

Jeff

Staci, it is fitting that the last email I received from you gave me a chuckle. Tomorrow, in your honor, I will listen to Bach's "Cello Suite in G Major". I considered Bach's "Air on a G-String", but the mental picture was a little frightening.

( ;) I hope that gave you a chuckle :D)

Rich D

I read this thread to day at work and was stun, the last email I got from Staci was back in January. She wanted to know how I like the new boat. When I first came to this board Staci gave me a lot of static about bad mouthing Tracker. But we came to terms

Staci, You have touched everybody on this board in one way or the other, I know now that you are no longer in pain and can rest in peace

DeweyS

I think there are a bunch of pictures here. It's Staci's profile page and from there you can look at her library.

RICH, is there anyway we can keep this thread at the top of the front page somehow without actually finding it and ttt'ing it? It's vacation time and I'm sure there are some not here now who would like to see it.

Uncle Billy
http://www.nitroowners.com/nitroowners/

Thank you to all of you who have posted messages about Staci here. I will show these to her mom, who I will see tomorrow. I don't know any of you but I know about you :)

Staci LOVED this site. I have signed on to share with you about Stace, and to read your postings. I met Stacin in 1992 just as she was beginning to transition from Scott to Staci. ... You all meant so much to her. ... Staci had her own challenges in life, as we all have challenges. I always admired her. I admired her courage, warmth, and wit. She made me smile. She comforted me when I was down or scared. She has greatly impacted my life and I hope to carry this forward in how I treat others.

Stace was a work in progress. She showed us that life is fluid, ever-changing. ... I rarely wear dresses. I once exchanged a couple of my dresses with her for a couple very nice men's suite. (* I think I got the better deal! They were NICE suits!) We dressed up and went to the symphony and had a great time (thanks Sue for the tickets). Memorable... as was my first float trip ever, with Staci last year. May we all find peace; may time lessen the pain in our hearts. She touched many lives.

Well Crap! This is not the way to start a shift at work:(.

I never met Staci face to face, but we shared many, many e-mails. She was especially interested while I was building our new house last spring. I checked in with her a few weeks ago and all was fine. Staci was always kind hearted toward me and others, she'll be missed. I never understood her decision to transition from Scott (who I never knew) to Staci, but I respected her for it. I can't imagine the courage that she had to muster to do what she did. I'll be praying for Staci, her family and friends. R.I.P friend!

This news really sucks,

Steve

Staci or Scott....two different people one big soul. We didnt see eye to eye in alot of things in life and fishing, but I did admire her ability to unconditionally help. The world has been a better place just have you here. Now keep an eye out for these folks, cause I know your lurking :)

RIP

Mini

Scott/Staci Always found a way to get a rise out of everyone here. As one of the originals on this site I rarely post anymore because of lack of time, but he/she was always one of the most prolific people on this board. Like him/her or hate him/her, he/she brought the best out of all of us. There would always be many responses to his/her posts, and they would always make me, and I'm sure many others think. When he/she left this site, we lost a big piece, although I think it was the right thing to do. This week, this site looses a bigger piece of itself.

I have to admit one the things I admired most from S was his/her guts. On a boating/fishing based website, where the demographic is built up of mid 40's, male, fathers, outdoors, conservative family types, he came right out and said he was changing sides....that takes balls (for lack of better word). This person, thought highly of all of you, and even through he/she's had more challenges than many, would have (and did) done anything for anyone here on this site....no matter what they believed in.

Scott/Staci has helped us all see today's realities in a different light, and thus has made all of us a little better for it.

Pierre

Very Sad news to read, our condolences go out to her friends and family.

We spoke with Staci on the phone once and without a doubt she was not confused about who she was. We knew a brave and courageous woman that went after the things in life she wanted which most importantly was to be happy.

RIP

Cass & Beth

ive never posted here before however it is wonderful to read all these posts. scott lived next door to me begining in 1980. scott and i hunted and fished through out all of missouri. we propped each other up over 25 years (job losses...divorces etc) and we enjoyed a LOT of good times. scott always had a bigger car with a trailer hitch and i always drove little cars. he would drag home any beat up car for me all the way across the midwest...all i had to do was ask.

this was a person who always offered their help.

as staci we also shared good times. on july 15 we watched the dvd of the remastered movie from the 60's "Gran Prix" in my home...Staci brought the frozen pizza's...we had a great time.

the day before i had taken staci to barnes hospital for them to put in a stent. instead they decided to give her medication.

on thursday of this week her mother called me with the sad news.

i am blessed to have known this wonderful person for over 25 years. my children, in their formative years, grew up next to a person who consistently demonstrated how we are to help others. i know my son and daughter are better people because of this wonderful role model.

staci left a lasting impact on me and my family. and there's also the memories of many many many good times on the streams and in the woods of Missouri.

we all will miss her dearly....

Does anyone happen to know what year Staci was born?

Been gone for a bit and someone told me about this via email. Staci and I didn't get along but that had nothing to do with the Scott/Staci issue. Although we weren't friends, I never wished anything bad on her. Hope she is at peace.

b morton,

With a few tears in my eyes I thank you for your post. Your recollections made me feel like I knew her better.

Uncle Billy

We now have a Memorial page, under the Members section fo the web site.

Thanks to Steve Hutson for suggesting it.

That is sad news. I recieved a few emails from time to time always concerned how I was doing in school and fishing. I got to talk to her once on the phone when Harpo was in the store and she just happened to call him while we were talking. Extremely nice person.

Just a quick note..

Steve, thanks for the suggestion to Rich. Wonderful idea!

Rich, it really looks great!!!! That's all I can say.

B.J. Remember all of the graduation cards? That was Staci's idea..

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back