Question About Handling

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Page

Reaction score
Got a 2010 Z-9, 225 proxs, 25p tempest plus. When running WOT 5600, 67 gps, steering is very hard (takes 2 hands on the wheel) have tried trimming up and then trim up some more to see if that helps but does not. Have a good rooster tail. Any Thoughts???????

Providing your steering effort at idle speed is "normal", then what you more-than-likely are experiencing is "prop-torque". Ideally, optimum set-up enables you to achieve max speed with perhaps 1-2 degrees of positive trim. Max efficiency is had when prop is parallel to the water. The less the motor has to hold the bow "up", the more horsepower is available to push it forward. Experiment with weight distribution and prop height. The more trim you use, the more difficult it is to turn.

Does your g'case have a built in torque tab? Identifiable by a "wedge" cast into the starboard skeg.....

No torque tab, it does handle good at slower speeds. I did check prop height awile ago and it is low 5" below. So basically yur saying when sterring starts to get stiff back off the trim.. My last boat was a 750 with a 90 Opti and I could adjust trim tab on that one. Thanks in advance for the info, I am trying to learn the best overall system for the boat.

Also I need to get a new prop for spare can you recommend a better prop, thought about going to a fury 26p for a few extra rpm 's and mph...any thoughts??

I would install a torque-tab. Look up "bob's machine shop" ruskin, fl. They have them. Props???? The Fury {IMHO}, is not all that it is cracked up to be. You have a great prop right now, and it will be hard to improve upon. Want it better? Send IT out to be "worked". I've used "Mazco", Fenton, Missouri, owner Mike Mazar, for mostly all of my race props and he will "tune" it for you...good stuff. ;)

Mike your Z-9 with the 225 did't come with hydraulic steering?????

I honestly think any boat with a 150 or higher it should be standard!

Bob, thanks for shairng your hard earned knowledge. I have learned so much that I really think by boating experience is better because of it!:cool:

Randy!

Yes it did come with hydraulic steering, and still gets hard to steer at top end, lower speeds handles great!! The way I understand it if I increase the prop 1p that should increase rpm and speed rpm by 200 or so, correct???

Mike

Mike a 26p Fury will not give you more RPMs, I would also suggest getting the tempest worked. If your prop shaft is 5" below the pad it is too low. Need to raise it to 3.5" inches below the pad. That might help.

Will try raising the motor, will have the next 5 days off, will have to see how it works out!! Will let you know come Tues. when i get back to work. Thanks for the info...

Mike

You can keep raising the motor until.....

;)

-speed drops off and the motor can not hold the bow up

-water pressure drops off....{15 psi minimum!!}..

The benefit is reduced drag, less tendency to chine walk, and at times a better hole-shot...

I had the same problem with my 150 optimax I put Hyd steering on it and now wot I can steer any direction with one hand. Cost about $1500.00 to put on but well worth it.

Put Hyd steering on it. It will take care of the problem. I have a 150 optimax and I had the same problem Put the Hyd steering on and took care of the problem. WOT can steer with one hand. Cost about $1500.00 to install.

Raised motor to 3.5 bp steering got better. Still only running 67mph gps, 5600 rpm, anything else I can do???

Latest posts

Back