Power steering pump troubles... Chattering/Clacking noise??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Justice

Reaction score
Probably a bit of an odd question to ask here, but has anyone ever heard of a power steering pump making a clacking/chattering noise when they go bad?? Out of the blue, it started whining some last night... I'm thinking, "Well, I've got 91K on my truck (Toyota Tacoma 4x4), and I put 33x12.50 tires on about 4000 miles ago. Not surprising, really!" Then, I get home and let it idle while I pop the hood to make sure that's what it was.. While I was looking, it started making a chattering, clacking noise. I've never heard one do THAT before!! I reached inside and cut the wheel, and it stopped whining and chattering as I continued to cut the wheel. Once I stopped cutting the wheel, it started whining again.. I let go of the wheel completely, the wheel spun back an inch or so (as normal), and I let it idle for a few seconds... It started clacking again. It seems to only clack when there's no pressure being applied, and it sits idle for a few seconds. Has anyone ever heard of this before?? I'm curious as to why it started doing this all in one night!!

Sounds like the bearing on the pulley is going. Just get a new one, not anything you want to go out at 70 mph. Plus it will draw extra amperage and HP from your motor if not running smooth. Be sure it's the steering pump and not emissions.

Sorry, main shaft bearing on the pulley to be specific. They're known to go after a while.

ROB:

Main shaft bearing on the pulley, huh... So, if I were to replace the pump itself, it may not take care of the problem. Is there any way to replace that, short of getting a hold of a new pulley? I don't know where I'd get one, honestly!! I dunno if that's something a parts store would normally carry or not. Something that doesn't add up (in my non-mechanically-oriented mind, anyway) is why it stops whining when the wheel is cut. Cutting the wheel shouldn't affect the way the pulley is behaving, unless the power steering pump itself is somehow flexing just right to remove some tension or something... What do you think??

When you turn the wheel you load up the power steering pump and belt, so the noise stops. As previous posts suggested, you probably have to replace the power steering pump. Sometimes noise like that also comes from the idler pully (which is much cheaper). To isolate where the noise is comming from use a piece of wood dowel about 24" long (or something similar) place one end on various places where you suspect the noise, and the other end at your ear. Obviously, use caution around moving parts. The wood dowel will amplify the sound and help you pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Auto parts stores also sell a cheap stethoscope for that purpose.

Russ

The pulley attaches to the power steering pump via a shaft. That shaft running into the pump has a bearing on it. The bearing is most likely shot. When you by the new pump, it will come with everything you need. The actual pulley itself is not the problem, but by pushing on it, you are relieving the pressure that is causing the stress on the bad bearing. It is cheaper to buy a new one than try to repair the old one. There may be a core charge at the store so, don't throw the old one away unless there is none. Ditto on what Russ said. my grandfather, a mech since the Korean war used to do that, and it amazed me how with a long screwdriver he used to diagnose my truck's "noises".

Someone on another forum suggested that it might be the tensioner pulley, too.. I will probably get a dowel or screwdriver or something tonight, and see if I can isolate the sound. I'm hoping against all hope that it's just the tensioner pulley, because that can be replaced with a new A/C idler pulley for about $35! That's at least a little better than the $109 (-$19 core) for a new pump.. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I am going to try and do the work myself :) If I get in trouble, my brother's an ASE, so he can prolly bail me out! Hehehehe

Yes, I've used the screwdriver trick too, but I suggested the dowel or something similar only because it's safer. The best tool is still the stethoscope made for that. I can't remember what mine cost, but I don't believe they're very expensive. True, I only use it maybe once a year, but my garage/workshop is full of over 40 years of things I really thought I needed:) I have tools that sit for years, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that if I ever need it, it's there LOL.

Russ

Latest posts

Back