performance

• Thread starter shane mccormick
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane mccormick

Reaction score
just bought a 1994 17ft rick clunn nitro. on takeoff its real sluggish but once on pad its great. anyone else have this problem with theirs? btw i have a 125hp mariner.. thanks

::D

Shane

I run a 98 Nitro R.C.Edition with a new 90 Hp Merc. After much time with the trim I am pretty quick getting to plane.Weight ,Balance,gas load makes a huge difference with this boat.I run a 12.5 X23 pitch prop and this can make a bid difference in performance. I top of at 48 with GPS and average load .Good luck and keep playing with the set-up:D

good fishing!

Ron

thanks. but i was told it blasts off using 2 cylinders in stead of 4. why idont know:blink:

It runs at low speed with 2,,, at WOT you are running on 4... Prop and trim will be the most important "adjustments"

i see. it just bothered me b/c not one of my other boats i have had done that.. oh well thanks fro the help guys.. have fun and GO GATORS!:D

Shane I have almost the exact same motor, the 115 Merc (same block/engine/carbs...), the motor runs on 2 cylinders below 1800 rpms then hits all 4, so first thing to look for/at is how many RPMS you are pulling from a dead stop when you floor the hammer/throttle, she should quickly rise above 1800 and into the 3-3500rpm range as you get onto plane.

What Prop are you running, one of the things i've found with the motor is she really only planes well with a small diameter prop and a vented one, best i've found is a 25p vented Turbo 3 blade, a lot of guys run the Laser II but usualy a bit slower top end, and best performance (holeshot and top end) i've heard is the Ballistic prop, but not a lot of those around and reported (never run one) the blades are thinner so if it breaks hard to repair (again just reading about it never run one).

So prop size, RPMs at WOT at take off let us know.

ok thanks. not sure on the prop but i will check it out and see. i know i will fish this weekend and check the rpms

Shane, I had a 1995 170TF Rick Clunn edition with a 75hp merc for years and I didn't have any problems getting out of the hole and ran 43 (GPS). With your motor, I would think you could get up on plane no problem? Good luck.

JP

went saturday and played with the trim on takeoff. i lowered the engine completely and trimmed it up about 1/2 inch and it didnt sputter and came right out of the hole. thanks fro the help and tips guys..:cool:

Latest posts

Back