Outboard rebuild :(

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Got a call from the shop today. They found why I had an alarm, VRO pump. Well that's only $300, but 1 cylinder is 20% low, and they are telling me it will be $3000 for a rebuild! That sounds really STEEP to me. Is this in line with what you guys have paid? I seem to recall a guy in our club getting his FastStrike rebuilt for around $1500. I definately cannot afford to risk running it and having it go during the season. As it is they may not be able to have me ready by the first weekend of May to start guiding! AHHHHHHH!!!!! %#$@!% Sorry, just dumped $1500 in last year, motor only, then JUST paid $600 this year, and now this? Anyone out there know of a good, less expensive shop close to upstate NY? PLUS, they still didn't even get to where the water is getting in, to fix that yet. Gee how much in glass work. When I'm done, I'll have a whole new boat! Hey, Pierre, looks like we'll NEED your boat in 2 weeks if you still want to come! SIMCCMJNO

Rob,

I just had my OMC 115 (4 cyl) rebuilt...cylinders only needed to be honed...(there are a lot of variables to this "job", and a major one is machine shop time to redo cylinders if they need to be "bored", not just honed)...new pistons..but not new rods...a new oil pump bearing...gaskets...carb rebuild...$2400...and I had quotes up to $3500. I chose a very good, qualified highly reccommended, mechanic... I got a 12 month warranty.. I am just now half way through the breakin...

That should give you some baseline info... Good luck.

Thanks Greg, guess a rebuild it is then! Man I only paid $3300 for the boat last year and I'll have twice that into it when I'm done! LOL No new boat for me anytime soon! New seats and she'll be brand new!

There's a tear in my beer

'cause I blew a piston in the rear,

Merc is on my lonely mind!

Back