One for the computer gurus - monitor question

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS 400 system. The 17" monitor that came with the computer gave up the ghost a few months ago. I seriously believe my young son smacking it with something one day because he got angry at a video game caused the short-time afterwards complete failure. It started out "loosing pixels" - I think that is what it was. About a quarter of my screen would have these green dots instead of the color it was supposed to have in that area. It seemed to "spread" over a short period of time, and pretty soon, there were a lot of things that I couldn't see on my screen. Oddly enough, it was the black areas that were no longer visable. If it was black on my screen picture, it was replaced by those green dots instead.

I replaced it (short term), with a 26" Westinghouse LCD TV that we had. NICE, BIG picture, but it's a $500 + TV / DVD player (built in) that is being used as a computer monitor.

Plan is - move this 26" TV/DVD to the "man cave" to put over my reloading bench, and get a new monitor.

Problem is... I kinda got used to this HUGE monitor. :lol:

Looking at a few at Best Buy. I can get a 23" LG monitor for about $250. Don't know if I should go with that brand, or some other. Don't know if I really "need" a 23". It's nice, but my work computer monitor is about 21", and I do just fine with that.

Good, bad, other ideas / brands / etc... ?

Thanks in advance.

All the best,

Glenn

Well if it were me i would get a 24" Samsung monitor( specifically one that runs 1900x1200 resolution) and call it a day. Samsung really has some of the nicest screens you can get.

Glenn - Go with the largest you can / want afford. I just upgraded our two 17 inch monitors to 21.5" and we love them. 23 is even better. BTW - good price on the 23"

Nothing wrong with the LG monitors. That sounds like a good price. I have been running a 22" LG monitor and Media center for the last 3 years without a glitch.

LG's a good product. get a good contrast ratio (20,000-100,000 to 1)you'll be fine.

I have a 19" LG...No problems so far.

The one I bought came with a 3year factory warrenty..so do not need Best Buy's.

Good Luck.. Rick

23" LG, 50,000:1 contrast ratio, 1920 x 1080, 2 ms response time. Looking forward to getting it (on order).

All the best,

Glenn