for you guys lookin for hd tv's, Don't buy any!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
Here at work we bought 6 Sanyo PLV-Z5HD projectors, and I took one home to try on a HD signal, WOW, better than any LCD, PLasma,DLP TV I've have seen yet, the reason is, for one, you can make a 98 inch screen with this thing, and the picture is CRYSTAL CLEAR even on regular digital channels, when you go to HD channels its even better, and a DVD is outstanding. I went and ordered one for my basement where I have enough room to blow the screen up to 100 inches, and the unit only cost 1500 dollars!!!!!!!! The sell point for me on this beside the screen size, is, 1, you can project on a regular white wall(don't need a screen) 2, the regular channels are super clear compared to my Westinghouse LCD, and my Dads Sony LCD XBR, it just blows away any TV.

How much heat does it generate from the projector ?

Mark

Goods like a great unit Mike.

It looks like this unit does not have a turner / audio.

How do you connect this project. what else do I need to have?

Rick

it puts out 700BTU, the fan is so quiet you can't even hear it run, no audio, you need a built in amp speaker set, or like I did, played through my surround system, I have now the dish hd receiver hooked to my toshiba dvd/vcr combo surround system, and used component output off the toshiba to the projector.......

heres the review

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/sanyo-PLV-Z5p1.php

through B and H online its 3000 hours life with a 1 year bulb warranty, and 3 year for the unit, like i said we have the new z5 here at work, the old Z3 we have had for 3 years, and of the six, 1 has a new bulb in it, they are now obsolete

I just read the review and PLV-Z5HD and the PLV-Z4HD passed with flying colors! The reviewer loved it. He also suggested trying to get the Z4 if you can find it anywhere and then you'd save a bunch of money. BUT, if you don't want to go through a lot of fine tuning and calibrating get the newer one because it's great right out of the box. He also said you could find the new ones at about $1500.00 just like Mike did. The review didn't answer what I really wanted to know however. A neighbor of mine had a front projection system and it was great, except you had to more or less sit in a direct line to the screen. Anything off to on side or the other and it would get dimmer. Is that true at all with the one you have Mike??

With my three dogs and two cats, mounting it anywhere near the floor is out so that would be a problem for me.

All in all, I agree with what Mike said in his post and if I had the money and could find a place to mount it, this is what I would highly consider.

Oh, the bulb life is a concern, to me anyway. In the spec. section of the review it mentioned a 3000 hour expected life, max. So, how long is your TV set on every day? If it's six hours, which is probably less than normal, that bulb is supposed to last about 500 days. A replacement bulb is $350. Something to think about..but I'm going to go look at one.

Uncle Billy

PS..I just found out there is a $200. rebate offered right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sanyo-PLV-...wItem

uncle billy, I have viewed this projector from any angle and it never dulls or fades at all. On the bulb, if you order it from B&H online they give you 2 picks(call and ask them) on the net they will give you 3 year bulb warranty, or when I called you can swap for an extra bulb at no cost without the warranty, I read online the ave viewer is 3 hours a day, or 2.73 years, I found bulbs on projector poeple for 290.00, so there are some down sides, for me this is goin in my basement, so we won't be wathin much except for weekends, and parties

I have 10 of the Sanyo PZ4s at work in conference rooms the bulbs do burn out and they run almost $500 to replace. Setup of these units for optimal viewing is well worth having a professional come in a do for you. I have set up a few of these systems and each time I have had to custom order the cabling to do the job right.

One thing worth considering is do you really need a projector system? Is your room big enough to support one because it will require aditional cabling to set up in order to get the screen to the viewing size of your choice.

In my opinion ceiling mounts are the best setup and a good back end amp and speakers as well as a HD cable or satalite box for signal, also a nice DVD player is another addition if you are to get the best output for your viewing. Also, another suggestion is not to skimp on wiring get the good stuf or the signal will be degraded, maybe not enough for some people to notice but it does matter.

Good Luck all,

Cass

500 dollars? Man I'm glad I don't order them from where you do, here they are 290.00 from B&H online

Do I need one? Yes, my room is 21 feet by 15'6" I can view a 100 inch screen size, ina tv that would cost me 35K or more, I have set this up at home and love it, it was easy to set up, plus I am mounting a shelve 3 feet from where the projector is, so I don't need long HDMI cables from satellite box to projector

Mike, my post wasn't directed at you, it was for all in general to help provide additional information for anyone that might be intersted. Since I have over 10 years professional experience in setting up and operating these kinds of systems I thought it would be nice to share facts based on my experiences with these systems.

As for what the Gov. pays for bulbs that was the going price last May for bulbs, as most things tend to do prices have dropped.

Cass

HD what?? You mean there is something better then my 32" Sharp tv??? When they get down to $300 i'll buy one! LOL

B0001WV6RS.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ

Trep,

You know that when they get down to $300 you'll hold out for $150!!! LOL!!!

I have no regrets buying my 40" Sony LCD last year. Watching football and movies in HD and surround sound is incredible.

Bob G.