On board battery charger/Keel Shield

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
I just sold my Tracker Pro Crappie and purchased an 04 Nitro 175 Sport. I want to buy an on-board battery charger for it but was wondering what make/model/size I should go with. I hear a lot about Guest but I don't know what size I should get. My boat has 2 batteries, 1 deep cycle and 1 cranking. I do mostly bass fishing and sometimes go out camping for the weekend and don't have a place to charge the batteries. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I want to buy a Keel Shield and was wondering if they are worth the money and do what they say they do?

Thanks,

Cass

If you do a lot of camping with no electric you could go with somthing like a STAY N CHARGE system that will charge your batteries from your trucks alternator.

If you just want a regular on-board charger, a 2 bank, 10 amps per bank, would be plenty.

Even though you can get by without a charge every night on your cranking battery, the few extra bucks for the 2 bank in money well spent. You know it has a full charge when you hit the key in the morning.

Keelshield...if I bought a new boat......yes.

Cass - Guest 2611 2 bank 5 amp charger, about $100. I moved for a Pro Crappie to a 700lx and had one on both, 5.5 years on the first one and it's going strong for the new owner.

They make 10 amp and higher, but for me, since I don't Tourney fish and only need at the quickest the batteries to charge overnight, the 5 amp 2 bank is perfect.

Welcome to the site, and let's see some pics of that 175!

Cass, Go to goggle and type in guest charger and you will get some info on cost and what's out there. I have the guest 2607 on my PT175 2004 with a 12 volt troll motor and starter battery and it's a two bank unit that keeps both batteries hot. Trep said the 2611 is a 2 band and the price is right. Let us know.....Kenny

I will not have another boat without a keel protector of some sort. Cheap insurance. If you need any info on the KeelShield just let me know. Yeah, I'm sponsored by them but I also have one on my boat. If you go to their website and look at the sand hull with the black KeelShield, it is mine. They are also optional equipment on NITRO's and Tritons now (dealer installed).

TOXIC
http://www.keelshield.com

I was considering changing my charger and adding a 2 bank charger so I can maintain my cranking battery as well as the trolling battery. For those that have switched out the factory charger, how much trouble was it to remove the old charger and hang the new one in it's place?

And it is a NO-BRAINER.....when I do replace it, it will be a GUEST!

Bryan

ncfishingnitro, It's very easy to uninstall the old one and put in a new one. The onboard charger is just screwed down for the most part and is easy to remove. Just unhook the leads to the batteries and simply install the new one, make sure you have enough clearence because they do get hot when charging. The only thing that will take a small amount of time is if you have an external plug hooked up. You may have to get the correct one or you might be able to cut off the male part of the plug and strip the wires back and insert them in the correct place on the receptacle. The job should take no more than 30 minutes at most.

without a doubt a Keelshield is a wise investment... I had one installed on my Targa before delivery (yes, on a tin rig!). I am able to beach the boat away from the piers to avoid congestion, go get the truck & trailer, then utilize the dock only as little as necessary. There is nothing worse then the guy who has to tie off at the only pier, go get his trailer, then figure out he doesn't have a clue which way the water is while backing up, the whole time making everyone else sit out in the approach area waiting for their turn. I'm beached, waiting patiently in line at the back-in zone for my turn at the launch, knowing comfortably my painted hull is not getting a scratch because of the Keelshield.... Geez, did I just ramble on like that...sorry!

Cass - Lets see some pics of the 175 Sport. I realy like that boat, I sold my Pro Crappie and bought a '99 Nitro 700lx DC, as I could not find any 175 sports available or in good shape/price i was looking at. With my van I wanted to stay below 18ft, so i'll be interested on how your 175 Sport rides, handles and fishes!

Definitely go with the Keelshield. I installed one on my 190 DC last spring and love it. Install was easy and i van pull right up on the ramp to drop off/pickup without worry.

Toxic

How much would it cost me to for the keel shield and to get it installed on my 189 sport, I'm getting to old and decrepit to install it myself. :lol:

JDJ

If I'm in the area it'll only be a couple of Jack and Cokes!!:D It's not very difficult but you do need to get to ground level and it is a little unwieldy at times. I may have mor info on my schedule and travel plans soon.....so, stay tuned.

TOXIC

Great post and dialogue!

I to want to install a KeelShield myself in the carport but want to buy one long enough to run from the kleet down to avoid scuffing on the bumper. I have seen a latch patch to address the latter - but can only surmise that it needs to be installed while on the water. Interested in comments

:huh: I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do? The KS has to be installed out of the water because it goes from 4-6 inches below the bow eye to under the boat. I have not seen one on the sides if that is what you mean.

TOXIC

The jack and cokes are no problem, a meal could also be arranged too. How much does the keel shield itself cost to do a 189 sport? Does BPS sell it?

Thanks

jdj

They did last time I was in there but I know they dropped them from the catalog. I'll check when I am down doing the Guides and Outfitters show or their Spring Classic.

TOXIC

Tox - For install from looking at your pictures of Mac's boat work (I think this might also answer Greg's Q) I assume you just do the work under the boat while it's on the trailer? Since the bunk boards are on the SIDES not the bottom, right?

Trepper - You are quite the smart man. You have a real grasp of the obvious. LOL I think the question was also can he start the Keelshield directly from bow eye back towards the transom in lieu of having to put a plate just aft of the bow eye. THis is to protect the fiberglass from hitting rollers and potentially causing any damage.

No can do. KeelShield info states that there is not to be any contact between bunks/rollers and the shield. That kind of constant pressure will eventually break it loose. Keel Guard found that out when they were selling the metal bow eye covers and they wouldn't hold. KeelShield doesn't sell anything that goes around or near the bow eye, they recommend that the install start 6 inches below the eye or just below where your bow roller first makes contact with the hull.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back