oils

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil simms

Reaction score
Well first off hello everyone hope the fishing is hot where youre all at.i have a 99 merc 225 optimax and i have been running qiucksilvers synthetic blend oil in it but now at 30 dollars a gallon i was going to switch to pennzoil synthetic blend 14 dallors a gallon everything looks the same but was wondering what everyone thinks this a good move or not thanks

This subject has been bounced around on several boards with different results and suggestions.

My way of thinking regarding outboard two-stroke oil is this - If the manufacturer of my outboards name isn't on the jug, it ain't going into my engine. Outboards are the only thing I'm this way about. Everything else I own runs with Amsoil inside it - Truck, Jeep, lawnmower, chainsaw, weedeater, leaf blower, etc... But my Mercury outboard only gets Mercury or Quicksilver branded oil. It just isn't worth the risk to me.

All the best,

Glenn

Try to find out who actually makes the Quiksilver oil that your using, more than likely it will be a main stream name like Amsoil or Pensoil etc, then you can get some accurate information from the manufacturer. Many, many moons ago, Chrysler (remember them?) had their own oil, but I can tell you, it was Texaco and labelled for Chrysler.

The Pennzoil synthetic blends are fine for sleeve sleeved motors {such as yours}. Personally, I use Amsoil in everything I own.......:blink:

Had the same problem - I tried the pennzoil in my merc 30 and merc 150 and both purr along just fine

I quit using Quicksilver two years ago and run Penzoil (cheaper) with no issues...still smokes like a freight train:lol:

Phil, Someone correct me here, but I think you should be running DFI oil in your Opti Max. Is that right Bob? I was told by the Merc. dealer that the Opti motor needs that type of oil............ DFI runs about $34 a gallon, not cheap but if that is what is recommended, that is what I am using.

Yes, that is correct when using MERCURY branded products, "DFI" or "OPTI" oils should be used in that series of engines. ;)

YES kenny DFI OIL penzoil synthetic is the same as quick silver in every way but the name and the price and Bob B gave the right answer, when saying even he doesnt use merc oils and he bleed black. Thanks every one I love my merc hate my merc shes everything you would want in a motor as long as i treat her right she should be around forever. :D

Latest posts

Back