Nitro X5 Cover in water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2010 Nitro X5 with the Nitro cover.

Just wondering if any of you have used the cover while the boat is parked in the water? It seems like the ratchet mechanism will be underwater if i put the cover on when the boat is parked in the water......

Has anyone done this and had any problems with the ratchets rusting or anything like that?

It's on a freshwater lake at my cottage, and my boat gets parked at the dock and left in the water all summer...

Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Is your dock covered? If not, I would not leave the boat out all summer. You will never keep the rain out and the weather will eat that boat alive. If it is covered go to google and look for a "mooring cover".

I have a mooring/storage cover and I do not leave my boat in the lake all year, as Toxic stated it is not a covered dock you will not keep all the rain out. When I put in on Mon I usually remove the boat on Thur. even with the mooring/storage cover.

my 2 cents.

cq

Thanks for the replies.

The dock is not covered.

Right now the boat sits beside the dock in the water all summer....From Mon-fri it sits there unattended and uncovered until i get to the cottage fri night and bilge the boat out. Then sunday i go back home as i am up at the cottage every weekend in the summer. I haven't put the cover on it because i feel like the tightening ratchets will rust on the nitro cover since they would be below water when the cover is on the boat as it sits in the water.....But i realize that i must cover the boat, i'm just trying to figure out if i can use the nitro cover in water or if i have to buy a seperate cover like a mooring cover.

has anyone used the nitro cover to cover there boat for extended periods of time while the boat sits in the water? Did the ratchet mechanisms break?

That's the point. There is no cover that you can buy that will keep the water out of your boat dockside. You ratchet cover is not designed to be on the boat while on the water. The best you can hope for is a mooring cover that keeps most of the water out and an auto bilge that is plugged in 24-7. The water is going to put heavy strain on your LU and prop with algae growth. I would be checking the LU about every other month for seal leaks. You also will get growth on your hull and I would imagine a wicked scum line. What about storms and tied to the dock? Sorry for sounding like an arse but I would not leave my boat moored, covered or uncovered all season to a dock.

I am not so much worried about the water as i am the sun fading away/ruining the interior of the boat.

If anyone has used the ratchet cover in the water with success i would love to hear about it.

Otherwise i guess i will have to spend the $ and get a separate mooring cover....

Latest posts

Back