Nitro 185 FS Sending Unit Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Humphrey

Reaction score
I believe my sending unit is bad, but when I went looking for it, it seems like it can't be replaced without taking the boat apart. This is a 1995 Fish N Ski model. Anybody have any suggestions, information, or experiences? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, should have been more descriptive. Fish N Ski Model, gas tank fills off the left side when at the motor looking forward. On the back left deck. starting on the outside and moving to the center, first hatch is access to trolling batteries. You can see partial gas tank, but second hatch and livewell blocks most of it. Looks like when the boat was built, they laid the hull, put tank in, then put the top on without thought to access. Any ideas or tricks to get at the sending unit for Fuel?

I had a 1999 185 Sport that had a problem with the sending unit when I bought it. I got them to repair it under warranty, but you are correct, (and I could not believe it, either) there is no access to the fuel tank! They had to cut or drill an access hole (in to my brand new boat)to get at the sending unit. They did this right where the back pedestal seat receptacle was and then installed a rectangular stainless steel plate with a new seat receptacle built in to it over that hole. It actually looked fine and held up for the 9+ years that I had the boat, and you couldn't tell that it didn't come from the factory that way unless you'd seen one before. I do not know if the dealer I took it to fabricated this from scratch or whether it was a tech bulletin or something from Tracker. I couldn't get any reliable information from anyone, but was just happy that it got taken care of. I think this problem with my boat is what originally led me to this board.

I had to sell that boat, which my family and I loved but didn't get to use as much as we wanted, when my daughter reached driving age. Had to sell that beautiful, sparkly, red-hulled, fish-catching, tube-pulling, skier-towing, cruising-around-at-sundown, 1999 Nitro 185 SPORT so we could buy an ugly, old, rusted, dented, blue-green, leaky-headgasket, needs-new-tires, deer-smashed-into-the-drivers-side-door ......, etc, etc,....short-in-the-wiring-to-the-fuel pump,..etc, crappy, old, 1995 Dodge Neon!

:D

RobHo - I'm afraid your situation is mine. I can't see the sending unit... just wires

disappearing to the middle of the enclosed deck. Thanks for giving me an idea though.

My teenage boys messed up both my fun loving 65 Ford Bronco and a pristine 90 Silverado.

I think I'd just open the hatch and look at the level in the tank before each trip if it's opaque enough.

Gene

Good idea guys, but the tank doesn't reveal anything. I'm working on improving my "watermelon thumpin" technique.

Latest posts

Back