New Study on Potomac River State of Health

• Thread starter Jim in VA [URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice article. Many cases of where the 'want to improve' was there, and someone actually did something about it.

The Houston Ship Channel (although I'm sure not as good as the Potomac), is another case similar to this. At one time, the Ship Channel was deemed the most polluted and 'nasty' waterway in the country. Now, it is much, much better.

It generally takes an iron clad will, and some legislative help to get things corrected. That, and it can usually be done without the need to go too far either way.

Tex

Good news but Blue Plains still is a major source of bad things. Every major rainstorm it overflows. The nature of the river keeps it from being "pristine" It never will be with all of the development along it's banks and tributaries. Every rain picks up tons of garbage and transports it the length of the river. You could clean every speck of trash from the river and after the first rain it would look like you did nothing {{{{sigh}}}} That is the life of the Potomac and will not change. Not to say we shouldn't stay on it and it is great that it is better than before but I fear the battle will never be won.

TOXIC

Tox - I agree it will never be perfect (pristine), but isn't that making the perfect the enemy of the good? There is no question that there is a ton of garbage in the Potomac. There is no question that with every major rain storm, Blue Plains overflows raw sewage. That said, improvements are being made all the time. DC is mandating further updates to the treatment facility (including updated storm overflow controls). There is a $0.05 fee on plastic bags to help reduce their proliferation in litter. These are all steps that further the battle. In a lot of ways, we are winning and will continue to win - so long as we keep up the battle and not give in to fears of never "winning." Afterall, the Potomac is one of the best bass fisheries on the East Coast. The water is now clean enough to host a triathalon (last year). And, all while it flows right along the nation's capital. I'd say that was a win any way you look at it.

You bet and I agree 100% but I am used to some of the Northern lakes where the water is gin clear and there isn't a hint of trash anywhere. I am just saying that we have to accept the Potomac for what it is and keep it as clean as possible and get as tough on pollution as possible but it will never be more than a trash chute into the Chesapeake. It takes constant vigilance just to keep it fishable. I hope for the best but plan for the worst....that's what we pessimists do!!:lol:

TOXIC

Ya wanna clean up the Potomac??...dump a few billion zebra mussels in there,....it'll be CLEAN in 2-3 years.;)

@ Mac - LOL! :lol: So we throw in the zebra mussels just in time to clean it up for the Asian carp to invade? Okay, I realize that's not as funny as it should be but I couldn't resist :D

We'll deal with the Carp if they show up in our 'hood......but you can keep the snakeheads that already prowl YOUR hood!!!:eek::rolleyes::D

Scott don't you have to still use your GPS to get over here to the river???

:lol::lol::lol: