new or used

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
I am needing to get a spare prop to keep in my boat. My question is ...should I buy a good condition used one or spend the extra $$ on a new one and use my current one as the spare? I currently have a Tempest Plus 23p on a 150 xr6, which is in perfect condition and suits the boat well(2000 882).

Thanks,

Eric

I'm a big fan of buying new - especially something like a prop, bit every once in a while you find someone who bought a new prop and decided it wasn't what they wanted, and after an hour or so of use, decided to sell it. That's how I saved about $100 off my last like-new prop. Be careful what you buy if used. I've seen people bang up a prop pretty bad and have a prop shop do a quick fix without really balancing it. That's asking for trouble when you try to use something like that.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks for the advice, Glenn. Buying new was my choice, but as always, I wanted to poll the experts of the forum. You guys, and Teri C., are the best. Looks as if Christmas may come a little early here in WV.

Thanks,

Eric

Just another angle of thought. I keep a spare prop to get me back to the dock and on the bunks of my trailer. My tourney days are pretty much behind me for now, so a main wheel for peak performance is what I run and my spare will get me off the water, not right back in the game. A cheap spare can be priceless when you throw an ear miles from the dock. Either way you decide, you're in the right mind to have a spare on hand. Good luck! ;)

Like Dan J, my spare is a spare so it is not a perfect match for my boat. I carry a spare hub also to fit either prop. Like you I run a 23P Tempest and it's perfect for my ride. But I picked up a 24P for $100.00 for a spare. Your choice

BF

I am a big fan of buying used and saving money. I afford nicer stuff that way. If it's your spare prop then it's easier to take a risk. I have bought nice things from the swap and sell here and BBC also EBay. Just make sure they send you photos of it first. With that said, I have been burned buying used stuff. Just the chance you take. Most people on forums (if they are a regular member) wont risk selling a piece of crap because they don't want to ruin their reputation on the board.

I have a 99 NX 882 with the 150 XR-6. I bought a new aluminum 23p Quicksilver prop for a spare, it was $125-$150. I have had to use it a couple of times and also change it while on the water. I have it in my passenger storage bin, it's been there for 10 years...bin still holding. The stainless 23p will not fit and is a lot more as far as weight goes. I would buy aluminum again for a spare, because, it's a spare. Also, don't forget to buy the flo torq hub kit as a back up also... when you hit something with the prop, the hub will most likely be toast.

Eric

Hi

There is another way to get a good used prop get it from a prop repair shop they will stand behind it. There were a couple good ones in the MD VA area Murphys , and Sanders are two that I have used. Other areas I am sure there is a local recommended Someone does it for the boat dealerships. look around even these two will ship anywhere.

Buy a new used one. Just kidding-sort of. Do your homework on what you want and watch e-bay and post on swap/sell and you can find what you want at a decent price. I got a new SS prop a few yrs ago without a hub for $120.

Latest posts

Back