New electronics

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Neathamer2

Reaction score
Well, spent this off season upgrading and replacing gear i,e New reels, raingear, Batteries and a few other items and now I am looking at new electronics. I have an old Lowrance x-65 on the bow and the original HB flasher in the dash and I am looking into upgrading. I was really thinking of the HB 385ci for the dash area but its a little small but has all extra's i,e sonar-gps-chartplotter but then I started looking at the HB 597ci HD DI and the lowrance Elite 5 DSI. I love lowrance but the HB has more to offer. Anyone out there have these units and if so, what do you think of them? I havnt really decided on a bow mounted unit yet.

Thanks

Max

I myself have came to prefer Lowrance....just been good for me over the years....but hey, just my opinion......and ironically, I am selling my current units, X25 and 520, both with GPS, if you were interested could make a deal, I even have them networked together, i was planning on keeping the cables, but if you wanted to deal could arrange a package deal with you

Hey Fish,

Those are very nice units but I am leaning toward the idea of a built in antenna for gps inputs. Hate putting extra holes in my boat. Are those dual freq units you have? I may get back in touch and make a decision.

Max

Well, your comment on holes is why i hvae them networked together, one antenna serves both units, and also weigh in points, when you enter one on either unit, it goes to both, pretty slick really

I have the HB 587 and I love it. The gps works great and the color picture looks good. The only thing I would recommend is to get the shoot thru hull transducer. I have the transom mount right now and I lose the water depth when I am on plane. I like HB. I plan on getting the HB 998 or 898 side imaging sometime this year. But people like different thinks. Good luck with the choice. There are alot of good units out there.

The Lowrance HDS with LSS-1 is not within my financial reach right now and I wanted a fish finding abilities of Down Scan With GPS.

I got the new Elite-5 DSI Fishfinder/Chartplotter today. Hooked it up the a 12V. power supply and started playing at home. Works great in simulator mode. Checked over all the menu's. This is a easy to use / sweat unit.. Put on the Artic Armor, tested the GPS part out side..Aquired position in less then a minute.

Just have to wait for some soft water to really check it out.

Rick

Max,

The 597ci HD DI units have just started hitting the market so you may not be able to find anyone on here that has one yet. If I can answer any questions for you though please do not hesitate to ask. By the way; depending on where you looked for the specifications for this unit they may not be correct. This is because after the information was sent to the catalog printer and to all the retailers; there was a few changes to the product. The correct sonar specifications are listed on the Humminbird web site and should read:

DualBeam Plus conventional sonar beams:

16 degrees at 455kHz

25 degrees at 200kHz

Down Imaging sonar beams:

45 degrees at 800kHz

75 degrees at 455kHz

Greg Walters at Humminbird

[email protected]

Thanks for the info guys. Prob be a month or so before I really decide. Would really like to test it out on my annual Clear Lake trip in Mar/Apr.

Max

Latest posts

Back