New boat, speedometer does not work.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Gereau

Reaction score
I finally got to take my 188 SF out today for the first time. WOW! I am in love. I have 1 question, how does the speedometer work on this boat? It has a 115 Mercury on it. The speedometer never worked from the start. What should I look for. My dealer is a long way from here and I would like to see if I can figure out the problem myself.

Thanks

The factory speedo works off of water pressure picked up from a small hole in the front of the lower unit. Check for debris in the small hole if it looks clean probe with a piece of wire.. also check the line that comes out of the engine and hooks to the line running to the speedo (could be disconected) all this assume temps in your area are above 32 and the poor thing is not froozen..

BF

P.S if all else fails remove the line from the back of the speedo and run boat.. If you get wet the speedo is bad..

should be on the leading edge of the lower unit,...just above the gears case....it's about 1/32-1/16" dia...

Check to make sure its connected. My new boat didnt have the lines connected.

When you find the hole and it does not seem to be clogged then open your Engine cover. The line may also be pinched in there. Mine was pinched after I had it serviced.

Max

<>< <>< <>< <><

Had same problem with mine, wasn't connected, looks like maybe 3/16" or 1/4" black tubing running down front of outboard, connects to small nipple on the front ,nipple facing upwards.... re-connected it and it's worked fine since. egMike

Latest posts

Back