My biggest "Gill" Ever!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
I got this Saturday morning. I wasn't getting much co-operation from the bass so I started pan fishing. I ended up with 22 total, but this one was the highlight. They are starting to bed around here as you can see from it's tail. It is 10 7/8" long.

violations 004.jpg

violations 005.jpg

What was your set up? I bet on light action that was fun!

Randy!

Really nice Gill! I got very much back into 'pan fishing' last year - and loved it. Those 'Gills' can clean a hook faster than I can get ready to set it!

Tex

Nice fish... Actually, from the picture I believe that that is a Redear Sunfish... Cool catch!

A readear no doubt. That's a nice one even though they run a bit larger than gills.

fatrap

Yes, it is a redear. I lump them all into the "gill" catagory. :) I was using an ultra light 6'6" rod and 2 pound line. It was a blast, I want to do it again! :wub:

Gene

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!! What a gill!! A real Gillzilla!! I bet that thing was a hoot on 2#! Good job!

Did you weigh it Gene?

Send that puppy in for a Master Angler! (catch and release minimum is 10" so it should meet the catch and keep of 1.0 lb...State record is 1lb 15.5oz

I've been limiting every time out, but nothing over 8.5"...

great job fish slayer!

az

Good Gil Gene...Headed to CJ Brown Resivoir right now to jack me some of those Redears and Bullgills right now!;)

Went Sunday and got 13 bigguns with 2 walleye to boot..supper is looking good tonight:cool:

I'll dig out my wife's picture of an 11 3/4" Redear....

Trep, I'll eat the other 21 I had. :D

Andy, I thought about the master angler patch, but not a big deal to me. It is getting mounted though so I'll always have it to look at. I didn't weigh it.

Are you going to try to hook up with the Gang on St Clair? I'm thinking about Monday or Tuesday depending on weather. You're welcome to tag along. We have extra rooms so you wouldn't have to get up before you went to sleep to get there. ;)

Dan, It WAS a hoot! I thought it was a bass till I got it to the boat. I could see it was big, but I didn't realize how big it was till I swung it into the boat. If I had known how big it was I wouldn't have swung it aboard!

Tee, an 11 3/4 would be a MONSTER! Definately post the pic if you find it.

Gene

That's the biggest gill I've ever seen. Nice fish Gene.

Great fish! That thing has probably terrorized a lot of bass in its time.

Latest posts

Back