MUSTANG GT or CHARGER

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Been thinking of trading in the UPS Truck aka Jeep Commenader now that I don't need 4wd in SC.

So let's hear it, Mustang GT or Charger RT

Thanks

I can't remember the totality of your situation, but I do remember that family is important to you. For that reason, I think you would like the Charger as it has more back seat room, does it not?

I work with a lot of fleets, and the cities who have tried the chargers sure cuss them for a few things, mostly brakes wearing out quickly.

But they are used to the old tank crown vics, so it's hard to say if it's a fair judgement.

If it was me I would be going with the GT. The last mustang I owned was a 65, I like the way the new ones remind me of the old ones. They are a nice car but you must go with the GT, don't touch the base model.

My brother has the Charger RT - bad as*. Tough as nails, loud as a harley, and fast as a rocket. Been in a few mustangs - problem I see is they range from ponies to wild stallions and the stallion ain't worth the price... my two cents...

(from a guy who drives a 4-Runner cuz I need some real towin' capacity)

David

Wait for the new Challenger should be out in 3-4 months it has a 400HP package I think.

Neither...wait for the Camaro ;)

I'm with Dave...I owned two Mustang's (a 68 and a 79) and drove my buddies 03' GT and it'll move but, not enough room and those suckers sure wind out early.

Sorry Marty...were talkin' cars not fruit:lol:

They're all different;)

Fruits know fruits; I defer to your better judgement ... ;).

Since you put it that way Marty....

BITE ME BEOTCH!:angry:

Now I'm really lost ...

"Beotch is dedicated to bringing oral health to your dog in a unique and fundemental way. Our organic mushroom complex will help reduce oral bacteria and help balance the oral flora in your dogs mouth. This process is aided by well chosen essential oils to create a synergistic blend that is truly effective."

But I stray from the original issue at hand. I just think buying any vehicle today based on the quality [or lack thereof] of vehicles 40 years old lacks sound reasoning. If so done, I could envision CJL being back here saying "that GT I bought is a piece of crayola."

One question .... does the Mustang GT come in a hardtop or all of them Ragtops? If I was keeping it for a long time I would avoid the ragtops. I ask because while I was waiting for some final body work at the Ford dealer I was wondering around the Mustang corral and noticed all the GT's were ragtops. I never talked to a saleman but was wondering about that. The Shelby sitting on the showroom floor was sure nice.

Don't buy either, get a Toyota camry and put a number 20 sticker on it and yer good to go:lol:

That reminds me Mike,....I've got 2-3 Tony Stewart tshirts ( I WAS a big fan of his until THIS happened!!) from the past couple of years that will now be my boat rags for 2008!! :angry: I cannot believe he and JGR are going from the BEST to the WORST in Nascar. Unbelievable!! Ohwell.....on the bright side,...it WILL be fun to watch TS and the rest of that team get spanked every weekend next year,..not to mention seeing how many times he goes postal in the pits and after the races. Tony's ego and temperment is not going to be conducive to going from being in the top 5 every year for the past several years,...to the bottom of the heap in one fell swoop!! He WILL embarrass himself AND JGR AND Toyota next year at some point...............gauranteed!!!!

Mac you got that right brotha! i am a JR fan personally but always liked tony and Gibbs, but now they are done. Its not so much toyota, but the fact that the money they can throw around makes a loyal guy become more money hungry to risk becomming a past contender ya know? I'll be laughin along with ya next year when tony flies off the handle and rips his new ride apart then retires, heard that this year when he was down, rumors of him quittin,lol

I am hoping Tony jumps ship and goes IRL so he can win the Indy 500 before he retires. Oh and it was a gibbs choice to make.

BF

I wouldn't buy either if a comparable Chevy was available.:p In the old street muscle car days Mopar was vastly overrated. Fords could run ok if you had a million dollars to put into one . 1966, 67 and 68 Chevrolet's were screamers and with a little after market ingenuity were just about unbeatable.:rolleyes: I swear, I could go into a parts store with a hundred dollar bill and walk out with an arm load of good stuff. I had a good friend who had a 1951 Chevrolet with a big block Ford motor in it. If he went into an auto parts store with the same money, he'd walk out with new tire lugs or something.:D

He had a running car though and called it "Half Breed". We used to tell him it was the only way to ruin a Chevy.:cool:

Very nice Chevy II. 327, Started out as a 327/275, then 60 over, Ported Polished, Blueprinted, Edelbrock Dual Hi-Rise Manifold with two dual feed 850(?) Hollies, Two heavy duty starting batteries in the trunk, Isky Roller, Hurst THREE speed shifter (the 3-speed shifter had a much shorter throw than the four speed. BUT, you had to have something to shift into reverse. I just had a piece of steel that after I put the regular shifter into neutral, I would pull the metal bar into reverse, Compression ratio 13:1, 12 bolt w/536 gears, Casler 10" wrinkle walls when running someone, Cut Outs and Hedman Headers, Miller lift bar traction bars, Sunoco 260 or a mix of 260 and airplane fuel, and I don't remember anything else. Oh, it also had 283 emblems on it.:rolleyes: This is when Baldwin Chevrolet in Long Island was guaranteeing 11 second 1968 Chevy II's right off the showroom floor. The 396 Chevelles were fast but even faster were the L88 Chevelles. There were some huge motors and fast cars in those days.:cool: I'm an old guy and really hate working on cars now but darn it, I sure do miss those days. One of the few lessons I tried to teach back then though it still goes, if you pull into a MacDonald's or any other place like that and it looks like the pits of a drag raceway, and you're in your 427 Corvette with your trophy chick and a sweater tied around your neck, do NOT try to pick a race with a 283 Chevy II with real wide tires that look like they're going flat. You will lose a lot of money and maybe your girl too.

Uncle Billy:lol:

47b7ce31b3127ccebe637d77b2e900000026102AZNnLRk5csa

Uncle Billy, That was one sweet Chevy2. Sounds like it was really built!

CJL, If you go with the Charger, be careful. My wife works for Tennessee's lead law enforcement agancy. They have started purchasing Chargers for some of the agents. It is my understanding that the Chargers DO NOT have anti-lock brakes. I know that they are having brake issues with some of their chargers.

To completely hijack this thread, Mac, Mike and Bruce. Don't be surprised when JGR's Toyota's take it up a notch or two, or several for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Toyota, JGR, Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin, etc. fan but I do know for a fact that money buys performance and speed. JGR has plenty of money and will produce results. Am I predicting wins and championships next year for Toyota, not at all but I believe we'll all see better finsihes. Heck, one of the main reasons that the Toyotas didn't do any better than they have this year is that all the Toyota teams were second and thrid tier teams with limited, at best, budgets. That and the talent pool of Toyota drivers was lacking at best, 1 has been (DJ) and a bunch of never will be's.

Steve,...you're probably right.....'Yota will fair a little better next year with TS driving...but I don't think they'll ever be a major threat to win every week or become a dominate force in Nascar. After all these years of JGR and GM being together, and now JGR parting ways to go w/'Yota, just proves that "potential" money will trump "proven" loyalty every time!! (eventually) LOL But, I'll stand by my prediction too.....TS will either be fired from JGR or 'Yota will MAKE JGR get rid of him before we'll see 'Yota as the overall Champion. Stewart WILL have a meltdown at some point next year and he'll do or say something that will cost him dearly. If there's one thing the Japanese can't stand,...it's being embarrased, and TS is a MASTER of making that happen!! LOL

Thanks for all the repsonses, sorry I did get back on till tonight.

Well both Cars Mustang GT & Charger RT were tested out tonight.

I first test drove a 2007 Charger RT, Hemi. I thought it was okay, it reminded me of my Jeep Commander that was flattened out and stretched out, it felt like a family car, my Ramm 2500 feels more like a Hot Rod. But agian I liked it, just not sure if I'm willing to pay for it and suck up negative equity on the JEEP.

I then test drove a 2007 Mustag GT that was customized by the dealer, with a lowering kit, whells & tires and interior upgrades etc. (long list). Well that car felt like a muscle car, not a family car. The GT was a manual 5 spd and I felt like Steve Mcqueen for a bit. Big difference to drive that every day to work, instead of a Boring Jeep Commander. So I asked the saleslady to sit in the back, she's bigger then my 8 year old. I made sure the seat stayed how I left it when I got out of the front, she fit fine. The fact is this car will be used mostly by me, none of the vehicles make sense as a commuter, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Both cars have good incentives on price, but the mopar has the lifetime waranty thing that I like, but I heard some negatives on that warranty.

I also seen a Charger RT Daytona in Plum Crazy (purple). But as much as I like the car, I think driving an easter egg to work every day will get old.

Many nice sports cars in the Charlotte area compared to NJ, I guess snow & 4WD is not a big concern down here.

Still thinking about it, thanks as always for letting me bounce this off you guys.

CJL

Hey Chris, hey you looked at or driven the Dodge Magnum? That's a Station Wagon for you, especially with the 425 Horsepower 6.1-liter SRT Hemi V8 engine. I saw one that was painted Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl with tinted windows and it was georgeous I think there is a $3500.00 cash back deal going on right not too.

Uncle Billy

47b7ce30b3127ccebe11c2a12bf800000010102AZNnLRk5csa

http://www.dodge.com

I like them Tee... And I loved the commercial they had on TV where a car racing his motor pulled up next to a Hemi Magnum and asked "Hey, what do you have in there?" and the Magnum owner answered, to paraphrase, I have a guitar, an amp, six 2x4's, some insulation, etc... The first time I saw that I almost spit on my computer.:lol:

I drove one and had it been only about a million dollars cheaper I would have bought it.

I liked the looks, the interior layout was great, and boy did it jump up and listen when you hit that accelerator. You could almost actually hear the ding, ding, ding of the gas pump when you do it.:rolleyes: I wasn't quite sure I could haul three big dogs in it though. But the main reason I didn't buy one was the price.

Uncle Billy

p.s. Tee, it will also pull our boats with no problem too.:)

Them Dodges won't pass up a gas station!:p

My bud's 05 Hemi truck has been back to the dealer about 50 times for every sensor you could think of and 12 MPG ain't good.

How about 20 MPG with the Sierra;)

Congrats on the decision, you will love the Mustang!!

If you dont stick your foot into it the 2005 5.9 Hemi gets much better gas mileage then 12 mpg. and the 2006/2007 MDS Hemi gets over 20mpg on the hwy. Both of our vehicles have the new Hemi with MDS and the truck is getting 18 in the city and 21+ hwy. My Chrysler 300C (AWD) gets 24-26 hwy and 22 city but I can tell you that those numbers are what I get when I drive either vehicle. My partner doesn't have a lead foot like I do and she has no problem getting the better numbers. Me on the other hand feels that if I have to worry about the gas mileage then I shouldn't be driving it and should get something that gets better gas mileage.

Cass :D

LOL @ Teri, I kept the UPS truck, now all I need is gold letters. :lol:

If it works for DJ it works for me.

So now I need to get my first mod done, I want to change the stock exhaust. Been thinkig of getting a axleback of SLP Loudmouths or JBA's, anyone have knowledge in this?

Thanks Uncle Bill, when you coming down to SC for some fishing?

We recently took a week @ Mrytle Beach, and i gotta say if you ain't been to SC beach in October / September your missing some great water temps and no crowds!!!

Excuse me Uncle Billy. I take offense to your statement of:

In the old street muscle car days Mopar was vastly overrated.

I had a 1969 Plymouth GTX, 440, 4Speed. Beaten twice, and only twice. Both times at the dragstrip. First time by a 427 Stang, when my car was two weeks old - and I still was trying to figure out how to drive it. Second time, was about a year later when I had to 'spot' a decked out Hemi about .35 seconds, and still almost beat him.

On the street - never been beat. Period. I would race anything, anywhere on the streets. Fords, Chevy's, GTO's, you name it. All went down in pathetic wimper. I also bested a 'towed to the track fully decked out 427 Fairlane, with slicks, two 4's, headers and the like. He left wimpering.

Now, having said all that, I also will tell you that virtually everyone said that they had never seen a GTX (which was stock other than the big tires and a new air cleaner) run the way mine did.

I had it for a little over a year, and had to get rid of it due to financial problems.

Tex :wub::wub::wub:

Chris,

Glad to hear you liked Myrtle Beach, we just finished building our winter home 15 minutes from there in Calabash, NC and we love it down here and living only 4 miles to the ocean this time of year is awesome but will look forward to returning to NH for the summer. I am planning on doing my fishing in the intercoastal and see how that goes.

Enjoy the new car :)

Cass

Latest posts

Back