Motorguide "Tour" or "Freshwater model"?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lane

Reaction score
I am considering buying a replacement/upgrade Motorguide trolling motor for my 02 PT185 which currently has the Pro model 43. I have narrowed it down to either a freshwater model or a tour model. The freshwater has the same type control pedal and set up as I have now with the Pro but the Tour has a different metal control with a two cable "pull-pull" design. I would like to know if the Tour model is a lot better or smoother to operate than the standard freshwater and is it worth the extra money? Either model is available with the new Digital in 12 volt which is what I will be getting...

Thanks for your input.

LT

I have the freshwater digital with the standard pedal. I looked at the Tour, but I thought the pedal was too high (neck and back problems). So far I like it.

LT,

I'm running a Tour 82 right now, and it's been a great motor. You'll love the completely variable speed control of the Digital. My only complaint is that the pedal on the Tour does sit up pretty high. It's OK when your sitting, but it will tire you out pretty quick while standing. I'm thinking of trying to put in a recess for it to make things a little more comfortable (just gotta find the stones to cut into my front deck ;) ). You might want to put your current pedal on some plywood or something at the same height as the Tour to see how you like it. It's been a great motor and I do like that the pedal and head are all metal, but whether it's worth the extra money, only time will tell.

Uh oh! I noticed the pedal appeared higher in the online photos but thought it was my imagination. I told myself it couldn't be THAT much different or they couldn't sell em!. I won't know until it arrives. There are no dealers any where near me for me to compare.

I have decided to order the Tour model from Cabelas becuase it has the 3 year warranty, the "soft start" feature (I have nearly fallen out my boat with the electric on full power), it was on sale and had free shipping. The money was $80 difference between the Freshwater Digital and the Tour so I went with the nicer Tour model. I hope I did not make a mistake! If I did I will post it here for review.

Thank you for your comments....they were helpful.

LT in Georgia

Nah LT,

You'll be happy with it. The height isn't unbearable, just a little higher than what you may be used to. I think you'll have less problems with the mechanics over some other motors, it's built like a tank. $80 well spent...

I have a 2004 PT175 and I upgraded the motor from the Pro43 to the 82lb digital tour. The soft start feature is a must, the pedal is almost perfect, the directional indicator rocks and the mount has not budged since I installed it. My only wish is for a better weedless prop, but that applies to all the MG motors.

RedRocker,

The first time I took out my new 02 PT185 I noticed the flex of the flimsy mount that comes with the Pro 43. What is this non sense? I was used to Minn Kota and never had owned a MG. Anyway, I quickly broke the mount when I bumped into a stump. I fixed it but bought a Gater mount and what a difference! The Pro 43 has been adequate for the last two years but it is beginning to whine louder and I am looking forward to the upgrade. Hopefully the 54 lb/12 volt will be enough....

Thanks for the note.

LT

Rocket, get the 3 blade ninja prop for the MG. I got one while at Champlain and went through some of the thickest salad ever. It did well. You lose a little thrust with the 3 blade compaired to the 2, but it works in the weeds.

TOXIC

TOXIC, I do have the 3-blade prop. I was used to the 72lb Maxxum which seemed to just pass through the weeds and grass like it was open water.

Why can't MG make a dual purpose blade?

Anyone try to fit the MK on an MG?

I looked at the Jensu or Ginsu or whatever, but it didn't look legit enough to try.

Is that the stainless one? My 3 blade ninja on a 67lb thrust MG pulling a 929 through the thick stuff on Champlain Pike fishin did good.?.?.? Sliced and diced and some of theose Champlain weeds (water willows, I think) are like floating rope!!

TOXIC

Just for those who may want to know....I received and installed the MG Tour 54lb foot control motor on my PT185. I used the older Gator breakaway mount I already had on the boat with the 43 lb pro and it is fine. Actually I like it better than the new one which I left boxed up. I was expecting a little difference in pulling power but it is much better! This 54lb 12 volt really pulls the light wieght 185. The pedal is firmer but seems to offer more control. Mostly is just different that what I am used to. The variable speed is heaven sent. It is a little quieter than the 43 I think (new designed prop?) and doesn't seem to use the as much battery power. So far I am very pleased.

I do see where the arrow on top of the motor head is off a good bit from the direction of the motor and I can't figure how to adjust it to line up. Any suggestions? A cure is not listed in the owners manual and I don't want to break anything....No, I have not called a service center yet.

LT

Latest posts

Back