Motorguide comes thru for me.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
Last year my trolling motor died, and I took it in to get it repaired. My motor has the built in transducer in it, and they said they've had trouble with them leaking. They replaced the lower unit.

Back in july I was fishing and hit the trolling motor button and got nothing, but then it took off. It started doing it more regularly and then quit completely. I took it to D&R Sports and had them look at it. 1 week left on the 3 year warranty. :cool: They couldn't find anything wrong, it worked fine for them. I picked it up at no charge.

I took it out again and it did it a couple more times. I took it in again and had them check it out. They said because it was in before the warranty ran out it would be covered. He couldn't get it to act up again. After we talked about it he agreed to open the lower case and look at it. More water in the housing. He talked to MG and they were going to change it again with a redesigned housing. The tech, Dave, said he'd only seen 1 of the redesigned housings leak. Are you kidding me!! I don't want this to happen again, I'll have to pay for it next time.

When I bought the new motor I got the built in transducer because I ruined the one I had. (transducer and motor) The agreed to replace the housing with a non-transducer model and pay for a replacement transducer for my Lowrance. I'm still out the gas for the 8 trips to Kalamazoo, but I'm confident I'm good to go now. Except for the fact I have a huge side job I'm doing on the weekends and my daughter gets married in 2 1/2 weeks. :blink:

I'm still hoping to catch up with Andy in St. Joe to whack some more salmon, and maybe try to get to lake St Clair for some smallies with Mac and the gang. We'll see I guess.

Gene

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I have the new design housing(MG w/ sonar)on my new Z7. It worked great for six months and then just quit working one day. The tech had never seen the new design lower unit leak water either, but my lower unit was full of water. The new style part to fix it has been on backorder for three weeks. :(

Same with mine on the back order. I had them change it to a non-sonar unit that was already in stock.

Gene

I thought about doing that. It just bugs me that I paid extra for the sonar option, so I hate to remove it.

I hear you, but I'd rather have the comfort of knowing I'm a lot less likely to have a similar problem now. Good luck.

Gene

Latest posts

Back