Motor wont turn over

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still messing with this 99 nitro. Was told when I got it that it needed a new starter. Ordered the starter and installed it, still no start. Batteries are good and charged. Solenoid clicks but nothing else happens. Held screwdriver across terminals, lots of sparks but still nothing while also turning the key. Does this mean that my new starter is also bad or could the solenoid be bad even though it seems likes it works.

I can turn the flywheel so I dont think the motor is seized. I was going to jump it tomorrow directly from the battery to see if it will engage, its a new starter. I also read that there is a fuse in that will prevent the starter from working if it is blown. Where around the motor is that located?

I would take it off and test it if it's not too hard to get at. By jumping it you could do more damage to the electrical if there is already a problem elsewhere.

Would help to know what size and make of motor we are talking about;)but if the solenoid is clicking, you are getting juice to the motor. Bad solenoid?

Had the same problem a month ago with my 150 xr6. start relay was bad. Easy check. get 12 volt tester unhook feed from battery at the relay, should be power. hook it back up. Then unhook small wire wire on top of relay from key switch. Have someone turn turn key and check for power. shoould have power when key is turned. if so then hook it back up and have someine turn key over. should have power on relay terminal going to starter. if not then relay is bad. unless of course the other two tests didnt have power.

Wanted to make sure the solenoid is hooked back up the right way. Was unhooked by someone other than myself. Top post has 3 connections, all with small red wires. It also has a large black wire with a red end. Bottom post has an all black large wire and a large black wire with a yellow end. I thought only one wire was on the bottom post the last I looked but like said I didn't determ and reattach. Bro in law unhooked to clean connections, not sure I trust his skills :)

Latest posts

Back