Mooring Lines...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kish2

Reaction score
Stupid Question.

What is the common practice for Mooring Lines? I picked up 4 15' mooring lines with the pre-made loop on the end and the othen end is cut. Do most people stow the lines in storage and then take them out when needed, or do the tie them around the mooring anchors (?) and then unwrap them when needed?

I am just confused.

Nah...it's not stupid. If you don't know, you don't know!

The "mooring anchors" are called cleats. Stow your mooring lines and use them as needed to tie off your boat when docking. Use the looped end on your boat's cleat.

If you leave them on the cleats they will always be under feet and in the way....not safe on any boat. Also depending on your boat, you really shouldn't need more than but two at a time.

Hope this helps.

LT

Wow...thanks for the reply.

It is really nice that I know I can turn to this board when I need answers to my questions.

Thanks Again!

I know how you feel, wg!!! I'm a newbie myself, and I can't believe how much I've learned by tuning in to this site every day. Most of it's pretty useful info, too (french maid outfits notwithstanding!) The people on this board are first rate!

TJ

I always suggest that you have one mooring line about 10' longer than the boat. You can use it to launch alone... You tie (very securely) one end of the very long mooring line to the trailer winch stand and let the boat float off.. It has plenty of line to run off the trailer and let you pull it to wherever so you can tie it off...

Also, by putting the loops together on one long riope and one shorter rop you ahve a fairly good... say 40+ ft tow rope for those stranded boaters you inevitably find...

BTW... it's a good idea to practice towing another boat once or twice before you try it for real... And only ever tow from a two point ski harness type attachment to your transom tie downs ( You can use your throwable cushion as the float and keep the line short and OUT OF YOUR PROP (but not with a piddly little ski rope that will snap and decapitate you as it snaps back into your boat after you start to pull that 30' Sea Ray).

I just bought a couple of the bungee style 4' mooring lines. They have a loop on each end with a slip ring to cinch it up if required. I will use them for a quick tie up at the dock so I don't have to get out the ropes I would use for an overnight. I saw them in the Ozarks last year and have wanted to try them since. Used one last weekend and it worked great. I do also have a longer rope stored under a seat for more permanent tie-dn.

Latest posts

Back