Monofilament choices.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Farrar

Reaction score
Before I respool this year, I wanted to hear some feedback on monofilament choices. I have been using 10lb Trilene XT. What would going to XL do for me? Also, what pound test higher vs. lower would decrease backlashes? Would XT be more or less prone than XL to backlashes? Any other brand recommendations? I am not really set on one brand vs. another. I just don't have a lot of time and $$$ to try all that's out there. My reels are Curado's Superfrees and I really enjoy flipping Senko's. I know that trying to flip a light lure is asking for backlashes but I am much more accurate with a baitcaster.

Thanks!

Trilene XL is much limper then XT. What that will give you is less line memory, better casting with less backlashes at the expense of some abrasion resistance. I have found that heavuer tests lines regardless of brand are stiffer and will backlash more. I run mainly 12 or 14 for most of my mono applications on casting gear. I have tried lots of different brands of mono, Stren, trilene xt , xl, big game, Silver Thread etc... and the one i like the best is BPS excel. Excel is not too stiff, casts very well and seems very tough. Its very good line at very good price ~$7 for 1000 yards. I dont fish any other mono anymore casting or spinning, i buy the excel by the big spool that costs like 22 bucks for like 5000 yards.

If you like the Excel then you'd probably like SuperMono. It's a lot tougher and may have a little more memory(less on baitcasters) but, is some tough stuff.

As far as Trilene XT is concerened ...it's a good all around line but, have been using the SuperMono on spinning and baitcaster for three years with no complaints other than changin' it a little more often because it's a little stiffer.

TEE

I use XL on spinning reels 8 or 10 lb. and XT on Baitcasters 12 lb.

This I'm experimenting with some braids...we'll see how it goes.

XT is much more abrasion resistant, but will have more memory. XL, like Jim said will be flexible, with less memory. Good for open water but not tough cover. To reduce backlash....learn to use your baitcaster! LOL Kidding, go up in line size. The finer the line, the worse the tangle. When you can pitch a 1/2 oz jig, 25 yards, with no magnets on 8lb test without backlash, you've got it mastered. As for line I recommend.....here's a big surprise! McCoy!!! LOL The spectra braids are as good as any braid on the market and have little memory at all. The McCoy Mean Green mono is great. Low stretch, low memory, and abrasion resistant. Only available in low vis green though. So if your a clear buff, can't help you. I'm not just plugging it, because I rep it. I believe in the line and am using this year in my tourneys.

Also, Buzz let me use some "Maxima" Or "Maxxum", something like that, last year. Good stuff. Tough as nails, which is good in our lake with zebra mussels.

What about PLine? I just bought a spool of 12lb coated with flurocarbon (I think). Guy at the baitshop recommended it. Any opinion?

I have used Trilene XL 12lb in all my baitcasters from day one. I have gotten to the point that I rarely ever have a backlash and I usually only have to cut my way out of one 1-2 a year. Usually associated with three of us fishing out of my boat and catching one of the other guys poles in my backswing. I have never lost a fish from breaking the line. I do periodically check for abrasion and re-tie the lure, but not too often. I should say that I do not spend much time flipin or pitchin heavy cover. That is my technique to learn this summer and I have spooled one of my baitcasters with Trilene XT 17lb for those lessons. I will have better comments on that in about a month.

That is why I liked the Trilene Tournament Strength/Photochromic....Strong, visable (above the water), casts well, medium memory, and great knot holding ability. It is kind of the middle step between XL and XT. Loved it!!

TOXIC

Teri, You've probably got the P Line Flouroclear. Good stuff. I've been using it on my spinning rods in 6# and 10#

Low strech, good sensitivity, and decent abrasion resistence.

I'll be re-spooling this weekend with it.

Hey ...This is the first time I've had a chance to say this......Buy Trilene or Stren...They are both great lines...LOL.....

P-LINE all the way for baitcasting and Triline XT 10lb for spinning.

T.S.

P-Line is the only way to go.It is

a little more expensive than Trilene

but when your Trilene breaks and

someone else with P-Line is having

trouble breaking his P-Line off of

a stump you will wish you had some!

P-line or Silver Thread XCaliber. I like them because they are limp compared to others I have tried. I hate line memory. I use the silver thread excaliber exclusively now.

jd

BPS Excel is the best deal for the buck. Virtually memory free and good abrasion resistance. As low as the cost is you can afford to respool when you need to, not when you have to. IMHO

Just to clarify.

Jim B, you said "I have found that heavuer tests lines regardless of brand are stiffer and will backlash more." and

Rob you said "To reduce backlash....learn to use your baitcaster! LOL Kidding, go up in line size"

Which is it?

Thanks again!!!

Latest posts

Back