Missouri Fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Book

Reaction score
I need a vacation!! But, youth pastors don't get paid very much... :( So, instead of a Canada trip like we used to do when the family paid I was thinking about a Missouri fishing trip. Here in Iowa we have some County and State Parks that have cabins with kitchens, bathrooms, etc. that don't cost an arm and a leg, but it just doesn't seem like much of a vacation if I stay in the same state. So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on some spots in Missouri. Big lake or small lake, it doesn't really matter. We will probably be fishing out of a boat and I would like to hit a place where I can get some decent numbers of bass/crappie/other panfish. Also, if it was in the direction of Springfield that might be a plus.

I know that I'm throwing a lot out there, but I'm just hoping some native Missourians might be able to point me in the right direction.

Check into Table Rock Lake. It is 35 minutes south of Springfield and offers some great Spring Bass Fishing. Plus you could stay around Branson and there would be plenty to do if kids are involved.

http://www.mostateparks.com/lodging.htm

MO State Parks with cabins at that site. One thing to consider is that resorts around the bigger MO lakes isn't necessarily inexpensive. For example, we're going to Lake of the Ozarks March 23-25 and the room are $70 a night--off season. However, if you shop around, and this can be done on the Internet [bless Al Gore] you can probably find some cheaper, off lake motels.

Table Rock is an excellent recommendation, but based on your timing might be expensive. Truman Lake has excellent crappie fishing and is less expensive, but it is isolated from places like Branson.

Stockton and Pomme de Terre are south of Truman, closer to Springfield.

Prepare yourrself though, unless you're camping, it will not be cheap.

Thanks guys, I'll do some searching. We are just looking for a place with a cabin (a seperate bedroom would be nice so the kids could nap) and a lake. We really don't need anything else to do as far as entertainment ... I just want to get a way, but the cabin would be nice for the family and make a little less work. The only reason I wanted to sort of be in the direction of Springfield is because I have never been before, and I thought it would be a good spot for free entertainment, unless we went to the musuem next door (is that any good?).

You might try getting hod of Missouri parks division and find out about their cabins in the state parks Iknow at Lake of The Ozarks they have cabins in the state park there and there are many things for a family to do in the park and in Osage Beach about 10 minutes away

JD

Ebook: What age are your kids? I am in Springfield and will let you know about the museum and some other things once I learn the ages of your kids. When are you thinking of taking this vacation?

Thanks, DOUG

http://www.mosportsmen.com/lakes/mozingo.htm

Lake Mozingo near Maryville Mo. check it out. I live is SW Iowa and its just an hour and a half from me. The fishing is good most of the year. The Souther Missori Lakes pretty much revert to a nite fishery about July.

fatrap

Thanks for the ideas guys. Fatrap do you know if Mozingo has cabins? I know that a lot of Iowa tournament trails have an early season event there.

Doug. My kids are 3 and 1 1/2. So, they are pretty young, but they do love to look at fish swimming in the big tanks and stuff. Last summer we went to the Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque and our oldest really love that.

Latest posts

Back