maiden voyage....AWESOME!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Man,..WHAT A BOAT!!!!....Went out yesterday for a few hours with Mini, to run my new boat for a while and get some fishing in. Man,..if you ever get the chance to run a new '03 225 Opti....DO IT!!!.....That motor ROCKS!!!!...I can't believe the holeshot on that boat,....20'9" boat...1 tank of gas...minimal tackle (granted,..it was a light load)

went from a dead stop to "on-plane" in 5 secs....that's with a 3 blade 25P Tempest with 3 plugs (medium sized vent holes) still in the prop. The mid range acceleration is VERY quick.....running along at 3500 RPM and you punch it...it'll feel like a turbo charger kicking in!! I was perma-grinned all day yesterday!! I have never driven a boat that turns as sharp and doesn't skip, slide, bounce, or porpose,...that 520 takes a turn like a slot car on a race track!! Buzz,....when you come out this summer...bring your check book...you will WANT THIS BOAT!!!..LOL...not only is it the epitomy of quality in construction and design, the fit and finish, the new "soft ride" SRS seats and all "little things" they do when rigging,..all add up to one sweeeet rig!!! Marke, Ken,...you two won't believe how awesome it is,..you gotta drive it!!!...Mini showed me a couple things yesterday, (he's driven them before,..several of our other buddies have 520's) and I kept telling him,.."Man,..this is like a corvette on water!!!...the performance in sharp turns and the acceleration is SWEET!" We did several stop and goes,....sharp turns,.....high speed runs,...mid range cruises......lot's of road course type turns and everything we could think of to put various loads on the motor, hull etc.....(break in periods are boring, so ya might as well try to have fun anyway,..LOL) I just couldn't believe how sweet that ride is.....anybody who makes it out to MI this year,...I'll let you drive it just so you can see what a boat like that runs like...I gaurantee you, you WILL be impressed!!! You'll walk away with a perma-grin too....my face still hurts!!..LOL

Can't wait to get out again!! My Lowrance units should be here today or tomorrow!! Will post pix's soon!! I am absolutely, totally,..head over heels in love with this boat! You gotta drive it!!..more to come later!!

Mac

on a side note,..I also have a new '03 Tour Edition MG 82lb thrust 24volt TM on the bow,....what a HUUGE improvement over the older models...this motor is extreeeemely quiet,..all new (upgraded and beefed up) circuit boards...and the all metal "pull-pull" cable operated foot pedal. That's an awesome TM...i know a lot of guys prefer MK's over MG's...but this is the sweetest Tour Edition motor I've seen yet...VERY MUCH improved over previous models! Love that 52" shaft too...no more control problems in rough water!!

LOOOKOUT EVERYBODY!!!! MacDaddy got his ride and the fish are in trouble....Congrats Dude!

TEE

Okay, you left out a very important review. We want to know about the custom Scales and Tales in the carpet! How does it look? Got any pic's yet?

Quit grinning!

Congrats.

Tex

ahahah...Tex,...I took the shipping cover off when I went up to see the boat friday after work,...and low and behold if there wasn't a "35th Anniversary" logo on the carpet instead of MINE!! AARRRGHH!!!!.....I called Ranger and left a VM with my contact down there...I haven't heard back yet, but I asked them to just ship up the lid when it's done and I'll swap it out. Mini thinks that they just put the 35th lid on there so I could get the boat up here,....and they'll make my lid when they have time to do a "one lid job"...(they'll have to shut down the production of the Anniversary lids, just to do ONE S&T lid),...so they may wait until it slows down enough to do that.....I suspect I'll hear back from them this week.....OR it just may show up on my door step this week!!! I know Ranger owns the machine to do those inlays,..but I don't know what's involved to do just ONE...vs. several of the same!!!

I know I'll get it though,...just don't know "when"...I'll be sure to post pix's when i get it!!

Mac

Congratuations on your new ride, you take extremmly good care of that boat.. Take care and again congratuations and post some pictures..

Mac,

Please do post the pics when you get a chance. Also, send me your home address, ok??

Carlos

Now there is a money opportunity brewing. Just imagine . . .

Mac does a Scales and Tales for me with some LM sporting a proper Texas hat. Also put's 'Texas Transplant' in the 'toon.

Artwork is shipped off to someone with boat carpet connections, along with a storage lid, etc. Several weeks later, my lid (now fully customized), arrives back home and get's installed.

Well, it's a thought! Just imagine what Mac could do with 'Toxic'!

Tex

Mac,

Glad you are having fun with your new boat.... Way cool!

Awesome!!! You deserve it, man! That'll tame 'Clair, won't it?! Hated to lose you in our outstanding hull, but glad to see it was a lateral move instead of a step down. (LOL!) Try that Tempset with two plugs out for that size load. You should shave a second or two on your holeshot without sacrificing top one bit. (Stiffen up your neck!) Now go burn some gas in that thing often between long bouts of pure fishing bliss!!

I was wondering about that too Dan.....I was thinking of taking 1 plug out,..but I really need to fill both gas tanks and both livewells and fill my compartments with the alloted "stuff"..LOL....right now it's a light load...but I need to get new "safety" stuff anyway,...anchor, flares, etc..all the USCG stuff. It'll be "tournament ready" by the end of the month!! Just in time for the opener!!"

Still can't quit smilin'!!...ahahah.....man that 225 is the cat's cahonies!!! Thanks for the info too.....will try some plug experiments the next time I go out,..later this week!

Mac

Mac glad to here you love your boat,but don't forget about your wife. Mine said she's starting to feel like the second woman in my life.I know that sounds wrong but is it really?

Anyways I'm happy for you.Don't forget I get first shot at it next year ,you said.

What's the color scheme ?

My wife's felt like the 2nd fiddle ever since I got my 1st boat 15yrs ago!!...ahahahaahha.....Luckily for me I don't TREAT her like 2nd fiddle!! But you're right,...new boats are a mind altering experience.....even my youngest daughter told me saturday when I got it home,..."Wow, Dad,..you ARE a stud!"...ahahahhha...God I love that kid!

Here's the color scheme

Mac
35th color 520VX.jpg

Awesome MAC, Its beautiful!

The only thing I'll need time getting use to with the 901 is being looked at.It seemed that were ever we were people would want to just look in awe or to start a coversation with you. It was to say the least a humbling experiance.

My kids are always the source of my greatest joy.

Sweet lookin' ride dude! I'm still up for a little spinnerbaiting for "pike" on clair, just say when!! Of course you would probobly cut the line on one before you let any pike slime in your new boat. LOL

Gene

Tox,..that cowl is very cool...GREAT step for loading and unloading by yourself!! The tongue jack is on the other side like every other boat,..it's just an optical illusion on that picture,....but the cowl is an assist step!! It's niiiice!!! Gene,....we'll hit 'Clair later in May,...I'm booked with stuff on weekends until then!! We'll hook up though...not a problem!!

Mac

Nice rig Mac, glad you got it. Now go put some hours on her...the boat that is! LOL

Thanks Bob...wish you lived closer so you could see it in person and drive it,....it's unbelievable!!! It really performs like a sports car....that 225 is awesome!! I want a 250 now!!!...LOLOLOL!!!!

It even fits in my garage with the motor "up" and with the swing away tongue, i have room to spare!! (Note to self,..521 w/250 is a possibility for '04!!..take measurements,....but may have to store with motor "down!")

That would be unreal!!!....Life is GOOOOOOOOD!!!

Mac

Great looking boat, Mac. Congratulations!

Now for the questions no one has dared to ask. What are the major and minor differences, in your opinion, between the 901s and the 521? I realize you took a step up to a completely different kind of boat, but you're in that unique position to tell the rest of us how "it really is."

Mac,

I am confused, do you like the boat or not? LOL

Congrats brother!

Rich D

Mo,...I'd love to, but I'd rather do that through private emails,.....I respect the fact that this is a "Nitro Owners" site and back when I said I was making the change I also said I wouldn't shove Ranger down your throats. The differences are HUGE is some respects,...minor in other's,..but send me an email with your questions and I'll reply as best I can,...I just don't want to turn this into a "Nitro Owner's and One Ranger Dude's Opinion Website!" LOL

I hope you understand where I'm coming from....This isn't a Ranger Owner's website....therefore I don't want to go on a PR blitz for them here.....gotta stick to my word man!!!

Mac

OK Mac I can respect that. How about throwing us a bone, what would you say is better designed, modeled... in Nitro over a Ranger - Huh???

I liked the location of the "master power" switch better in my 901!!...LOL (It's in the battery compt. on my 520,..vs on the dash next to the ignition on the 901).

Great looking boat Mac. Gotta get us a picture with you in it!!! How do you keep from SMILIN' all the time??

I can't stop Sam,.....everybody think's I'm "ON" something!!

LOL......I'm expecting my boss to show up any minute with a cup!!!...ahahahhahahha

"Nitro Owner's and ONLY One Ranger Dude's Opinion Website"....????

LOL

Great looking boat Mac,

Enjoy< I did my little Ranger for 12 years.

Mac,it feels like you should be handing out cigars.(lol)

SWEET ride......

Steve

congrats mac!

i still remember the day I bought my used lx700 and how proud I was of her. I still am, but I've got a long ways to go. enjoy it mac, we are all jealous. ha!

jd

My Electronics were waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday!!..SWEEET!!!,....installed them both last nite,(piece o'cake).....Marke's coming over tomorrow to partake in another break-in session,....can't wait to see his reaction when I tell him to put it in a sharp turn and "nail it"....ahahaha...he's gonna end up going home to Jill and telling her,.."Honey,....Daddy needs a new boat!"

ahahahah...should have pix's to post too....he'll bring his digital camera!!

Mac

Wait'll you sit in these SRS seats Joe,....if you haven't yet,....then you'll want some!!! No aging goin' on this year Pal!!!...LOL

The 520 is a great hull for both performance and ride. It will not ride the rough stuff like a 9 Series boat, I know that from experience. All Rangers are lower to the water and fish awesome, but the 9 Series boats are wider and I think are more "fishable" because of it, especially in the rough stuff. Water over the bow is a normal situation with a Ranger, and an odd occurance in a Nitro.

You cannot argue the fact that Rangers are built well, attention to detail is the best term that comes to mind. Not that Nitro's arent, but the little things that get tie wrapped, sealed, foamed, etc. are nice.....BUT you pay for it steeply.

Either way it is a sweet ride for a great guy. Well deserved for my buddy Mac...Buzz, that boat will be in pristine condition when you are ready for her. Just bring your checkbook and you will take it home....lol

Mini

Hey, Mac! Think you could get Ranger to become a Sponsor of this site so they can have a banner like Guest has?!!?

LOL....nice thought Scott,..but I'll have to table that idea for awhile,.....atleast until my new deck lid shows up!! ahahaha...BTW...got an email today from them..my custom lid is being made this week and will be shipped to my house ASAP...no problem!! Their CS is awesome!

Mac

60hrs??..That's it????...slacker,....better do twice that next year!! LOL And thanks for the advice Joe,...I'm totally indebted to you,.....I would'nt be anywhere without your recommendations......I'll see if Ranger will send you a keychain or something!!! Now get to work!!!!! LOL!!

Latest posts

Back