Looking at a new boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kahn

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2003 Bass Tracker PT 185 Silver Anniversary Edition w/ 60Hp Mercury.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout 4. R there any inherent problems I should

be aware of? Thanks Bob

The only issue I have with my '02 PT185 is not being able to use it twelve months out of the year.

I have had zero problems with this rig with a 75 on it.

I have a 2005 PT 185 and it runs super and have had only one problem with the pump that fills the live well but it was easy to replace and not very expensive....it loves to hunt for big bass.....

I have a 2002 PT 185 with a 90. I bought in new. Overall, I love this boat. I made several adjustments within the first month or so.

1. Upgraded to 24 volt system. Boat listed pretty bad because all three batteries were on the port side. I removed some floatation from the starboard side (behind the storage bin) and moved a battery in there. I vented it properly and had to do a little rewiring.

2. Could not achieve maximum recommended rpms without the boat slightly porpoising. Once I found the appropriate stainless prop, I had to move the motor up. With the motor height correct I could reach the appropriate rpms, trimmed out, with no porpoising.

3. Water in the boat. After every fishing trip, I would always get water when I removed the drain plug. Even on bluebird skies, no rain, I would always have water. Fearing the worst, I filled the inside of the boat up with water to search for a leak. There was no leak. The water was entering the rear of the boat between the gunwale and hull. There are rivets there, but the water was being "forced" through, between the rivets during turns. I got some silicon and applied to the seem. Next time out, no water in the hull.

4. Livewell system. I don't know how else to state this. The livewell system is horrible. It's so bad that I can't imagine Tracker did not fix it by the next model. The drain hole is the width of the pencil, and has a 90 degree just below the tank. It's practically impossible to drain the thing and two fish scales or crawdad pincher will back it up. I would fix it, but I would have to remove the gas tank. And here's the kicker, the intake and output is the same hole on the transom. If you plan on fishing tournaments, I would definately verify that your systems works.

5. Carpet. The carpet is in good shape, but the glue isn't great. You can pinch the carpet and pull it up. Again, maybe they found a better adhesive for 2003. Also, my boat has always been garage kept and always travels under cover.

6. Trailer. I have owned a Pro 16 and Pro 185. For both trailers, I had to replace the boards and carpet. Find out if yours have been replaced or take a good look at them. If they weren't replaced, you will be doing it soon. It's an easy job, just annoying if you're not watching for it and your bunkers float off into the lake when you launch.

7. Compartment lids. I take some pretty big dudes fishing on occasion. They busted the rivets out the compartment supports. I had to reinforce them with bolts.

With all that being said, there are many great things about the boat. I fish about 3 times a week, year round and have used my boat a ton. I have had it some rough water at St Clair and Kentucky Lake and am very pleased. I would have no issue buying another, providing the livewell system issues were corrected.

Bob - I had a 2002 PT175 with 40hp. The set up you describe isn't going to break any speed records, but I found the Tracker line of bass boats to be pretty solid. Check for things that would be typical on any used boat purchase. How well the current owner took care of the boat is most important. Make sure to have the engine thoroughly checked (compression check, lower unit, etc.) and then go through everything in the boat (EVERYTHING!) and make sure it all works. Look at hatch lids, pumps, carpet, steering, trolling motor, etc. and don't forget the trailer. Best way to do most of the boat stuff is on water once the engine checks out.

Latest posts

Back