Life jacket ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Helscher

Reaction score
I have a Mustang Survival Life jacket with the CO2 canister. You are supposed to change the bobbin every three years. Do you need to replace the canister also? The seal is still intact on the canister. will the CO2 leak out?

I think that it is a farily good idea to replace both on a regular basis. Let me offer this suggestion, get a new 'kit' to install. Before installation, trigger the one that is in there. This will answer several of your questions, and will also answer the other question on how good are the 'seals' on the vest overall.

If you really want to have a good test, put on the 'suit' and your PFD and jump in. Now you will not only have a good test, you will get some experience in the water when it fires up.

Unfortunately, I've averaged about one 'un-intentional' trigger about once every 18 months or so - so I've not had to check this or replace a canister/bobbin as a safety concern.

And while we are on the subject, I wear mine ALL THE TIME WHILE ON/IN THE BOAT. Everyone should.

Tex

Let me suggest that, if you can, don't buy a rearming kit online. You might get one like I did that had been sitting on a shelf for about three years.

Latest posts

Back