I need a grill for the 4th. Brand suggestions?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I need a new gas grill. My 5 year old Char-Broil is about to die any day now. Somedays it won't light, somedays it works perfect, and still other days is starts off with a low flame, and then flares up and burns my food 5 minutes later. I can't risk it on the 4th. I've got guests coming over, and I don't want to ruin the meat.

Went to Lowes and Home Depot today. I didn't see anything that looked anywhere as close to sturdy as my current grill. Everything looked flimsy - even the expensive ones.

I'm considering just replacing the regulator, burner, and lid handle on my current model and just keeping it.

Any suggestions?

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

The one we have is from Costco...made in China special, but it works pretty good as it is. been in service for 5 years now I think.

Carlos

Sounds as if the burner is corroded...you can get relacement burners at Lowes like you said.

Or buy a new grille:rolleyes::D

I've had a Weber Genesis Silver Series B for 9 years. Have replaced the ignitor, grates and flavorizer bars a couple of years ago. Excellent 3 burner grill.

Ive got a Weber Genesis too. Mine is the "gold" model and its been in serivce for close to 10 years now and the only thing i have ever changed is the ignitor. I use this grill almost every day year round.

Ditto on the Weber. I have the Genesis Silver C with three burners. I spent the extra $50 over the standard one to get the stainless burners and grates. I haven't had to do anything but clean it for four years now, and it works and looks like new still. I'm very pleased with it.

Glenn with all this mesquite wood around us you are still using gas? Your in South Texas know. Not unless you don't like mesquite wood. :(

Amazing story ...

I have a Coleman gas grill that I bought from Home Depot 11 years ago for not more than $200. We use it year round and I keep it covered when not in use. It has worked flawlessly and still going with the original burners. The only part I have replaced is the drip cover that sits over the burners.

I bought one about 6 years ago at Sears for $99 and it is a great cooking little grill. They currently have a Char Broil there for $99 that is very similar except it doesn't have the pot warmer. It's hard to beat for the price and cooks great.

Thank you all for the responses and suggestions. Unfortunatly, when I checked into it - I can't get a new burner for my current grill - so it's a new one for me.

I looked at the Webers. Expensive. I'll probably have to suck it up and buy one anyway.

I did notice the Vermont Castings, but didn't know anything about them (mostly concerned with parts availability and ignitor quality)

Although I love using Charcoal, my family routinely decides that they want to eat "now" (we don't plan worth a darn when it comes to eating :lol: ). Lighting up charcoal / mesquite just takes too long for their liking. Plus, I kinda like "off" and it's off and just cooling down. I've had charcoal still burning for hours after I'm done.

There is another brand at Lowes - can't think of it right now, and it's not on their website. Looks like the "traditional" BBQ pit, but gas. It looks like a converted barrel, but it's cast. It's got the little traditional looking chimney on top. They also had a neat one - double grill. Half was charcoal, half was gas. Two seperate pits with a gap of about 2", mounted on the same frame. I thought that was neat, but again - don't know nothing about the brand.

Paul P - Years ago, I would have bought a Coleman. I'm not going to get into the long story, but Coleman has lost my business for the time being.

Carlos,

COSTCO might need a road trip. It's a haul from my house, but it might be worth the drive.

Thanks to all that responded. I think I'm going to go check out the Weber Genesis' this afternoon.

All the best,

Glenn

BGE....Big Green Egg will be my next one although Charbroil has come out with a dual unit that will do charcoal or gas, I like that option a lot.

TOXIC

Greg,

You've got me second guessing myself now. Dang-it! :lol: I do prefer the taste of charcoal cooked steaks. We do a lot of quick stuff with the gas - burgers, hot dogs, sausage. But I just thought of something... We buy in bulk and freeze everything. In the time it takes me to defrost something in the microwave, my charcoal could be going.

I might just talk myself into that combo gas / charcoal double unit though.

Tox,

You don't need anything even remotely sounding like a "Big Green Egg". You're nickname is already well established. No need to push it further. :lol::lol::lol:

Chris F,

I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

All the best,

Glenn

I like to cook over charcoal/ smoke too when time allows. For that i have a chargriller with the side firebox option in addition to my gas one, there is a time and a place for both IMHO.

The char griller is not the best put together grill in the word but it does have cast iron grates and so far in the 3 years ive had it it held up well although i have had to repaint it( the new ones are powder coated). for what i paid for it at Lowes its been a winner.

Jim B,

That's the one I was thinking of - the Char Griller. I just looked at their website. I was looking at this dual one (gas / charcoal):

http://www.chargriller.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29&osCsid=81dda9d0c25856ba3fd0106fefeaa0b6

When you say it's not the best put together - what do you mean? I am finding that most grills at Lowes and HD are "not the best put together" - no matter what brand. I even saw a few Webers that looked cheaply made. The Char Griller stopped me in my tracks because it just looked "stong".

All the best,

Glenn

What i mean is its not made from super thick material etc. If i compare mine to say a higher end brinkman smoker there are a lot of differences. If i had to make an analogy mine is built like a ford, a brinkman is built lika a tank. Overall mine seems to be holding up plenty good enough. I have the super pro model with the side firebox addition. Overall i really like it, i got mine on clearance for like 99 bucks with the side box. I do use it a good bit for both grilling meat when i want to use coal, smoking and i also make pizza on it alot using a pizza stone and high indirect heat.

I have put my Chargriller through hell. It has seen quite a few truckloads of logs in it's days. I have done some beefing up mods to it, and some work here and there to get it to hold a steady temp better.

If I am too lazy to deal with babysitting a wood fire, I can dump a full bag of briquettes into the fire box, and get a steady 250 degree burn for about 10 hours without touching the vents.

She's looking a bit ragged, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.:wub:

!cid__0703081846a.jpg

Steve, thats exactly the one i have. I did the same thermometer down low trick too so i could get a better read on the grate temp where the food actually is. I only use hardwood lump in mine and i can put about 10# in and it will run for 5 hours or so without touching it.

I recently got a side burner kit for it at lowes that was on clearance for 15 bucks. It runs off screw on lp bottles thats pervect for keeping mops warm and it also holds the chimney starter so i dont need paper anymore to get it going.

Well, I bought a Char Griller today. Got it on sale for $160 (gas model only). I put it together as the folks at that Lowes didn't look like they would have put much effort into it. Took me about an hour to get it together and it came out great. I'm now set for the 4th.

Thanks to all that responded. I appreciate it.

All the best,

Glenn

Toxic,

I checked out a Big Green egg before buying my Primo. The size and shape of the Primo sold me. Same basic grill either way and boy does it produce some juicy steaks, ribs, boston butt

Grilling tip of the day no matter which fuel you use:

Sear meats like steak, boneless chicken breasts and pork loin chops directly on high for 3 minutes on each side, then cook indirectly on medium. Time varies for each side depending on the cut and thickness. Steaks: around 5 mins each side, chicken breasts and pork: around 7 to 9 minutes each side. Your times may vary.

Baby back ribs: Everything I know about slow cooking ribs on the grill I learned from the link below. I cook em for 3.5 hours at 250*F.

Enjoy the weekend all and the freedom!!
http://www.amazingribs.com/

Jim, Did you get rid of the crappy fire grate that came with the side fire box?? Very bad design as there is no way to empty out the ash without removing the fire. Makes it a PITA for those long burns of butts and briskets.

I found a easy and cheap way to modify it that will let you pull the ash pan without disturbing the fire, works great to keep the fire from smothering in ash on those long burns.

Steve

No i still use the grate it came with. I burn mainly natural hardwood lump and it makes very little ash. Ive run it for 10+ hours with no issues from ash buildup.

Paul P, I've got a Home Depot bought Coleman model, too. Not sure how old, probably about ten years, I suspect. Replaced the cast iron grates about three years ago (due to lack of caring for them...I let them rust). Everything else is still original and in good shape. Will probably need to replace the drip covers soon. Very solid grill.

Happy 4th, all!

Latest posts

Back