I just can't understand how a dealer can be that way!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lively

Reaction score
This has been eating on me for a month or so.

I have a new 898 that I have just ordered, while in the process of selling my 901, buying and ordering my new one, I had talked to several dealers, went to several boat shows, you know doing the "shopping around" thing.

One of the dealers I went to was "Dusty Rhodes Marine" in Flint/Tyler Texas.

While looking around a sales man approached me asked if he could assist me. I then explained to him that I was in the market for the new 898. He said they did not have one but had the new brochure w/some good pictures of the boat and the layout. We were both looking at the pictures and he asked me if I currently had a boat. I told him I had a 2001 901 and I that I had had 2 896's prior to the 901. I explained that I liked the 896's better and since the 898 was comparable to the 896 I was in the market for one. I also told him that my 901 was my 4th Nitro since 1994 and I was hopeing to buy my 5th.

He then asked me where I had bought my other boats at. I told him my first Nitro was a 1993 190TF which I had bought through "Dusty Rhodes Marine" in Lufkin Texas (their other store). I told him I had had some problems with it and had a difficult time in getting the Lufkin store to do anything about it so I took it to the Nitro dealer in Longview Texas, which is 60 miles further. They got right on it and took care of my problems. Since then I have had a bad taste in my mouth w/"Dusty Rhodes" but that was 10 years ago. So I bought my other 3 Nitro's from East Texas Boat World in Longview.

What the salesman did next suprised the heck out of me. He snatched the brochure from my hand and said "well why don't you go to Longview and get your d@%n brochure". He then told me goodbye, as requesting me to leave his store.

This was a shock to me I thought his response would be something along the order of "well why don't we see what we can do to get some of that business back". Is "Dusty Rhodes Marine in Texas the only a$$&@!e dealer out there. If your in the market for a Nitro in East Texas do your self a favor and drive the extra few miles to Longview "East Texas Boat World". KENNY

kenny,

that would eat at me a little too. That wasn't Dusty you were speakin to was it? I'd give Dusty a call and let him know and then stay way clear of that store if that is how they are going to treat someone over a brochure. sounds like you were tryin to find out if anything had changed. guess you got your answer. anyways, sounds like they lost a chance at a good sale and some future service and parts business.

jd

The unfortuante part about sales is that it involves people. It goes without saying that if that individual worked for me, it would have been his last day. If it is in fact the manager or owner, simply do what you have the power to, take your business elsewhere. If he was simply a salesman, I would contact the owner and express your dissatisfaction and the encounter. I have said it so many times I can't count, but in today's market, I don't care HOW big you think your company is, you cannot afford to alienate or abuse customers. They will go to the competition which there is no shortage of. Good luck with your purchase Kenny. I would steer clear of Dusty's and further, fill out a dealer report card that is one of the resources of this site. They not only lost your busines, but likely the business of anyone coming here to ask about that dealership. Plus, if I ran Tracker marine and heard about that, I would pull their dealership.

Kenny,

That only reinforces what I have always said to anyone who is buying a new boat .Regardless of the brand or price the most important thing is to have a reputable dealer . That

We have heard many, many complaints about Dusty Rhodes on this board.....

Hey Kenny, That would really tick me off. I bought my first Bassboat here in Klamath Falls,Oregon in the spring of 1991. It was a Lowe V-1600 with a Evinrude 60 on the Back, anyway I transfered to Iowa for 3 years while I was in the Military. During that time frame I got X-Mas cards from the dealership every year. Then in 97 I bought my Nitro and stopped by the dealership in Klamath to see about getting my Lowe all setup to sell and low and behold

The guy who sold me the Lowe in the first place came running out of his office and Said Max, How the hell have you been. I was surprised that he remembered me. We then talked about my Lowe, We then decided to do the Consignment thing due to I was getting ready to Deploy oversea's, They sold the Boat more than what I was asking for and then He drove out to my Parents place and hand delivered a cashiers check to them for the Boat. Now here it is 2003 almost 12 years since I bought that Lowe and I still get X-Mas cards from that dealership and I still get a 15% discount from the dealership due to I am a retired Navy Vet (and a all around good guy :) and I purchased that Lowe from them.

One of the lucky one's

Max

Scott,

I feel an emailfrom the board to Dusty Rhodes coming up....in pure Scott's style!!

Pierre

There is no excuse for that! I would have marched right into the managers office asking for an explanation of what the heck that salesman is thinking....

Mini

That's just plain stupid business practice. No excuse, no reason and definetly worth a call to the owner/manager with dates times and names of those involved. With salesmen like that, he outta just chain the front door right now because it won't be open much longer.

TOXIC

I agree Mini,...SOMEBODY at that dealership/boat show would've heard more from me too!!! Especially that saleman's boss!!...What a pi$$ poor way to promote a dealership!! Unbelievable!!

Kenny,

You should consider filling out a Dealer Report Card. Then, cut and paste your post into the comments section.

If the guy doesn't want customers, he shouldn't expect a good dealer report card review. He's already got one bad one up on this site.

Man, that's sad. A dealership for a boat company that already has a bad popular reputation, and you don't even get a positive comment on a site that's pro-Tracker or pro-Nitro. Couple that with a struggling economy and slow boat sales....yikes. Maybe the current economic climate will finally put them out of our misery.

MO

It seems like a while back there was some negative talk about Dusty Rhoades on the Bass Fishing Homepage?

Just updated the dealer report card on Dusty Rhodes.

I love my Nitro's but you know, if Dusty Rhodes was the only Nitro dealer around within a reasonable driving distance I would be running a different brand. It's sad that it is that way and a dealer like that can't be good for Tracker/Nitro.

Kenny - I can fully understand and appreciate your view, and agree 100%!! For 10 years I did not buy/drive any FORD products due to 4 (count them FOUR) different Ford/Merc dealers that screwed up, cheated and LIED to my wife and I (everything from telling me then replaced a cylinder head when I found out 3 days later then just CRAMMED a larger sparkplug in the stripped hole, to getting a car back with grease all over the seats, steering wheel and a bag of half eaten fries/Ketchup all over the seat). Funny i'm about to go away from Ford again (when the wagon dies) due to 3 piss poor ford/merc dealers here in GA.

Very glad you DID find a good dealer and thanks for telling the rest of us who to avoid!!

Trep, to solve your Ford dealer problems: Go to a Lincoln-Mercury dealer. They have the same ability to service your vehicle, at the same prices, but tend to have more refined service because the customers have higher service expectations.

In the meantime: Dusty Rhodes Marine...wonder when these stories will stop sounding like a broken record?

AHH tried that in the first place Rich with the old Van. Had a break job done and 3 months later take it in for a oil change and they tell me I need new brakes all around. I pushed them to explain why, and they came up with some lame excuse about pad wear and the like. I asked the service rider to pull up my account/record and see what THEY did 3 months ago. He called back and said "your car's ready Mr. Trepper, and sorry your brakes are fine!" Now that dealer is no longer in business, but we've just not had good luck with Ford/Merc dealers (not to mention the Nissan dealer on Cobb Parkway, but don't get me started!!!).

Rich, the reason we did take it to this Ford dealer is I was out of town, Beka called me cell to cell to say the dash was lighting up like a christmas tree and the manual said to take it to a dealer ASAP. She was 3 miles from this Ford dealer who we had not tried. Now, unless we have a transmission problems (with a 3/36 warranty you BET it's going back there) i'll try the new Merc dealer up the street. By the way, have had GREAT service from PepBoys in the last few years.

Sorry to side track your post Kenny.

Debbie:

Thanks for chiming in!!!!

It's good to know that there are dealerships out there who want to help customers, and who try their best to cement a good relationship with a prospective buyer.

This site is a resource for people who are considering the purchase of Nitro and Tracker boats, and who look for resources and help in taking care of their boat post-purchase. Please come back and help guide us in customer-dealership issues. As you said, an educated customer is the best kind of customer. You're in a unique position to help us become more educated.

Thanks, again, for taking the time out of your day to respond to Kenny's situation.

Mark Hofman

"MOFish"

Debbie -

I second Mark's note to you!

We are fortunate enough to have several Dealers and Suppliers who frequent this board, provide valuable information and assist members with problems. People such as Ken Neeley and Craig with BPS in Auburn Hills, Michigan, Bob Bourget with MarineUSA in Worchester, Massechussettes (am I getting anywhere close on the spelling) and Sue with Guest Chargers. In return, we give as much of our business to these fine people as we can!

Please make yourself a member and stick around!

Pierre -

I had more in mind a fax to Tracker. We've heard too many horror stories about Dusty Rhodes..... Leaves me wondering why Tracker would continue with his franchise agreement.....

me!

Scott:

It's too bad we can't get signatures on that fax - like you can on certain other items that are being shipped all over the country. I'd sure sign it.

Or, even more "edgy" - how about a fax to Dusty Rhodes telling them that the 1000+ members on this board (which is becoming a major source of information for prospective buyers) cannot in good faith recommend Dusty Rhodes as a dealership? I'd sign that one too. Heck, I'd WRITE it!

First, how many of those 1000+ members live in the Tyler (or wherever they are), TX area? It's rather obvious that Kenny isn't going to buy a boat there. Besides, we all have Nitros anyway, so why would we EVER need them?

Besides, he wanted to buy a boat they didn't have one of. Bird in the hand vs two in the bush...

Short-sighted for sure, but I doubt if anyone cared, the guy would still be working there.

I've been a memeber on this board for about two years now and I can't honestly remember hearing ANYTHING good about Dusty Rhodes. But has got to be the worst thing I have ever heard in my life.

Isn't that the same dealer that Charlie is problems with his TV-18? It's funny that the only TV-18 with problems (excluding the 150hp/transom issues)came from that dealer.

Scott / MO, you guys right the letter and I'll sign it too. Maybe we can start a fax chain. Kind of like a chain letter. Scott can write it and sign it, fax it to MO, Mo can sign it and fax it to me and so on. Anyone who has ever sold a house that was 800 miles away knows that a faxed signature is just as powerful as a real one.

Dusty....We're coming to get YOU!!!

Bad dealer, Bad dealer....Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when we come for yoooouuu?

Marke

does gold 'ole Dusty have an email address?? Maybe a couple thousand emails would help them see the light?

PS. We have a dealer here in N. Cal that was so poor on service I ( and many others I am sure )called Tracker Marine and complained....that dealer is a dealer no more..See ya Brothers Boats!
http://www.championowners.com

Thanks for all the support.

I got my new Nitro ordered.

I'm not going to let that ol' mean dealer scare me away from Nitro's.

Good point Kenny...just go elsewhere. If I had it to do over again...I would have stayed away from the Cincinatti BPS also. They're just as bad....just my opinion.

TEE

Latest posts

Back